Archiving folders outside of Outlook to reduce PST file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHorizon1

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'm a freelance commercial writer and to keep myself organized I've created a slew of individual folders in the Outlook Filing Cabinet -- one for each individual client (probably around a hundred or so)--where I keep project-related details. I probably keep way too much, but I don't want to delete anything, in case I should ever need to refer back to the history on that account for some reason.

As a result, my PST file size is gigantic -- multiple GB -- and Outlook takes forever to load upon startup.

Is there a way to copy the contents of those folders for past clients into a file folder I would create on my hard drive? This way, I could eliminate some of the clutter from the "active" filing cabinet in Outlook and hopefully speed up Outlook's response time, but not lose that data.

Thanks so much!

Kara

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Sure. You can either drag and drop the mail to the folder or use a utility that converts it to a universal format. (Some will also saves as Outlook's native msg format.) My favorite: if you own Acrobat, use the package utility to create pdf packages of each folder. Otherwise, see Archiving Utilities for Outlook

NewHorizon1

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Thank you Diane! I'd tried dragging/dropping the whole mail folder into a Windows folder and that didn't work. But, I didn't try just grabbing the emails within. Since I don't need to do it that often, I think this is the best solution for me -- and with my Carbonite backup, it should keep those emails doubly-secure. :)

Thanks so much!

Kara

Status
Not open for further replies.