Seperating email accounts, Syncronizing, and a few newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFU2236

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I'm a newbie, have been using Thunderbird with Lightning (Mozilla's email/calendar client) and was looking for Customer Relationship Software and was pointed toward Outlook. I use Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 x64. I'm going to format this as easy as I can for people who don't care about the stories. Questions in bold.

My first question is my most important one. So far I love outlook but have been unable to figure out how to separate each of my 5 email accounts on the email menu. As I'm sure you all know, email all compounds into one inbox/trash/junk folder and any sent mail seems to be sent from just the "default" email account. However, this feature is incredibly intrusive for what I want. Each of my email accounts have drastically different uses and it's essential for me to send email from each account, and I would highly prefer all of my inbox/junk/trash/outbox folders be separated by each of my email accounts to make this much easier for me. This was something Thunderbird does by default, and without it I find Outlook a deal-breaker. I was told I would have to create a profile for each email account in order to do this, which would constitute logging in and out of each profile to view other accounts, which isn't desirable at all. Question 1: How to I separate each of my email accounts so that I can still keep them all in one profile, but have the ability to send emails for each account and also view email in all folder categories separated by each account? Question 2: If I'm able to do that, can I synchronize my contacts between each email account and how?

My second question is a feature that seems to be suggested in Outlook though I can't find it anywhere. I'd like to sync my "profile" to another device, my laptop. I tend to do almost all of my emailing on my desktop and all of my actual work on my laptop and it would be extremely convenient to have my contacts, calendar and associated tasks and schedules, and email accounts, and preferences/options, all synchronized between my two computers. Thunderbird did not have this feature and it's what actually made me consider Outlook. Question 3: How can I synchronize my entire profile including calendar, preferences, and others, between my two computers?

My last question is about a few features that I don't think outlook actually has, but since some options seem hidden or difficult to find then I'd figure I'd just go ahead an ask. They're unimportant to me and I'd rather the thread not become derailed on them so I'm not going to bold them and any answers to them will be more like a bonus. I want to use Outlook for freelancing so any associated features are important to me. First, Is it possible to do a mail merge, like mass emails and where can I find more info about that? Second, I'm looking for an invoicing program and since I charge by the hour I'm looking for one that specifically has a click-to-clock in and out feature. For the few times I check an email and do 10 minutes of work, it's convenient with a program like this (Just like Billings Pro) to just click to clock in then click again when you're done to record the time spent working and add it to your total. Does Outlook have any type of billing/invoice addon? If it doesn't, any suggestion for an outside program would mean a lot to me! Preferably on that can sync with Outlook's contacts.

Thanks guys.

Also, here's an image of what I'd like to accomplish with my first question.

example.png

I really want to use outlook but find it too inconvenient with everything mixed into one massive email account rather than have them separated. To do what I want I have to spent too much time to figure out which email account got sent what and then setting other accounts as defaults just to send emails for that account. Any help here would be massive. Also, is it possible to remove the "date" lists in the inbox? You know, how it auto-creates expandable lists in the inbox for each day and organizes all of your email in that? I find it redundant when you have an entire column with the date in it, and it really clutters up the inbox and makes it look messy.

Thanks, I hope I get some good answers. I'd love to start using it, and I've searched to find my own answers but failed. My only other alternative is to watch hours and hours of video on microsoft.com and hope one of the "tutorials" have my answers =0

Question 1: Assuming separate POP3 accounts (with separate username/passwords) - Go to File, Account Settings and select an account then Change folder at the bottom. Select a new folder for delivery, adding a Outlook data file (pst) if necessary. Alternately, you could use rules to move mail to other folders - but setting the delivery folder is generally better.

Question 2: No; but the contacts should all be in the default contacts folder.

Question 3: You can copy the pst file back and forth - outlook doesn't support true syncing in this situation. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp for sync utilities that make it easier. CodeTwo has a free tool for syncing calendar and contacts. If your mail server supports IMAP that is a good option for email.

Yes you can do mail merge - look on the Tools, Mail merge menu. You can also start it in word but if you start it in outlook you can use outlook better filtering capabilities.

http://www.outlook-tips.net/2011/1363/use-outlook-contacts-with-mail-merge

Time tracking is possible - using journal. Press Ctrl+8 to open the journal module. It may not be as automated as you desire though. Some 3rd part tools are listed here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/calendar_billing.asp

Thank you very much for your answers! They help a lot. But your answers raise a question for me.

I had decided to read up on the differences between POP and IMAP and I realized that Outlook's add account wizard has been automatically setting up all of my accounts as POP3 while lightnings account setup has been adding my accounts as IMAP. Setting them up as IMAP is exactly how my accounts separated themselves in lightning, and adding an account in Outlook with manual configuration as IMAP seems to have separated my accounts automatically. However when I tried to manually add my accounts under IMAP I must have gotten information wrong and the accounts failed to connect. My next question is, how do I set up IMAP manually?

Thanks!

Question 1: Assuming separate POP3 accounts (with separate username/passwords) - Go to File, Account Settings and select an account then Change folder at the bottom. Select a new folder for delivery, adding a Outlook data file (pst) if necessary. Alternately, you could use rules to move mail to other folders - but setting the delivery folder is generally better.

Question 2: No; but the contacts should all be in the default contacts folder.

Question 3: You can copy the pst file back and forth - outlook doesn't support true syncing in this situation. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp for sync utilities that make it easier. CodeTwo has a free tool for syncing calendar and contacts. If your mail server supports IMAP that is a good option for email.

Yes you can do mail merge - look on the Tools, Mail merge menu. You can also start it in word but if you start it in outlook you can use outlook better filtering capabilities.

http://www.outlook-tips.net/2011/1363/use-outlook-contacts-with-mail-merge

Time tracking is possible - using journal. Press Ctrl+8 to open the journal module. It may not be as automated as you desire though. Some 3rd part tools are listed here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/calendar_billing.asp

Aha! I went to each email accounts website and looked at their help sections and found out what I needed to put in.

Thanks for your answers.

Great! Thanks for letting us know its solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.