How do I create and send mail in Outlook 2003 from code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejamul

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I have spent the better part of a day trying and failing to get the results I need. What I am trying to do is create a rule that checks if an incoming message is greater than a certain size. If it is, I want to send a message to another account with the original message's subject, from, and size. I am proficient in vba (Access). I am using Outlook 2003 and Windows XP. Thanks.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Does Outlook 2003 have a rules for message size? Outlook 2010 does and I don't recall which version of Outlook was the first to have that condition.

If it does, you can use the size condition and (hopefully) a run a script action. I recommend visiting the MSDN Outlook forum - that is where the programmers hang out. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev

bluejamul

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Does Outlook 2003 have a rules for message size? Outlook 2010 does and I don't recall which version of Outlook was the first to have that condition.

If it does, you can use the size condition and (hopefully) a run a script action. I recommend visiting the MSDN Outlook forum - that is where the programmers hang out. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev
Outlook 2003 has rules for message size. However the only action that is remotely close to what I need is to forward the message or reply to the sender. Not acceptable. I need to create a new message alerting the office manager that someone has sent a large message. Our SMTP size limit is much smaller than our POP3 limit. So I cannot forward the message. Thanks for your interest.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Right, the forward option is not what you need... you need a script to create the new message and send it then will use the action for "run a script". I'll check around and see if i can find anything but you might get faster service in the MSDN forum when the Outlook devs hang out.

bluejamul

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Right, the forward option is not what you need... you need a script to create the new message and send it then will use the action for "run a script". I'll check around and see if i can find anything but you might get faster service in the MSDN forum when the Outlook devs hang out.
Thanks. This has really got me flumoxed.

bluejamul

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Apparently the only way to accomplish this is with an external program. I will create a rule that calls "Blat" to do the work. Unless anyone has another idea, I will mark the problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.