Outlook 2010 crippled Advanced Find, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northbanker

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
In Microsoft's infinite wisdom they've steadily removed search features from OL'10's Advanced Find that I've relied on over the years. And I mostly used it for searching CALENDAR not email, so I can't use Search Folders instead.

1. Printing Search Results (along with Menus)... gone!

2. Saved Searches (e.g. *.oss)... gone! (from OL'07 actually)

3. Counts of Search Results in status bar... gone!

I really need #1 most, followed by #2, and I could live without #3.

Is there just no way to acheive this functionality for CALENDAR searches in OL'10?

Is there a good search add-on tool that would provide this?

If so, ideally it would tie into Outlook's search index rather than creating it's own. Outlook can do the searching just fine, just not the 3 things I mentioned.

It'd be nice to NOT have to maintain some parallel indexing engine, like Xobni's, but if I did it would be ideal to index appointments only, rather than email, which I'm fine using Outlook's built-in search for.

Otherwise, it looks like I'm going to have to do something really kludgy like keep a separate computer handy that runs OL'07, which can do #1 & #3 at least.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

northbanker

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hmm... nobody got any workarounds or a lead on some add-in? I'm not holding my breath that MS would put back what they inexplicably removed... at least the ability to print search results!

northbanker

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
OK, I'm happy to report that thanks to Diane jogging my memory in a similar post on Technet, it turns out that VIEWS are my answer. Here's a clip from the last post I just made on Technet...

"It's not Adv.Find because that doesn't print. Instant Search can basically do it but it's got some rough edges. But the best solution is VIEWS!

Funny thing is when I went into make a custom view, lo and behond there was one I'd already done several months back for this very purpose... I'd just forgotten that I'd figured it out already, and that I did it with Views!

Some nice things about views are that they're pretty similar to the Adv.Find query methodology, they're savable, and they're quite easy to change (i.e. the date range). I even employed your tip of using GroupBy (MessageClass) to get a results count.

So thanks for your advice... it got me to rediscover what is the best solution in OL'10, and avoids having to use any new add-in, software, etc. All good!"

Status
Not open for further replies.