Using Encryption in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkbelt65

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Is there anyway to do this without a certificate of authority?

If a certificate has to be procured will the recipient need anything on their end?

blkbelt65

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
No, you need a digital signature.

If you encrypt, the recipient will need your public key, which they can get from a digitally signed email.
thank you for the reply Diane.

I have a client needing immediate(lol) information on this.

Is it just 1 CA they'd need to purchase? The recipient would need nothing other than the key they'd get from the

signed email? This part confuses me, how is it secure if the recipient can just acquire the key from the email they recieve?

They are using Exchange 2007 / Offcie 2007

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
sorry about the confusion, the recipient needs their own cert, that is why its secure.

how it works: Sender signs and encrypts the message. Only the addressee can decrypt it using their certificate and the sender's public key. If the certificate the addressee has does not match the email address the message was sent to and they don't also have a certificate for the senders address, they can't decrypt it.

comodo has a free certificate offer if you want a certificate so you can see how it works. http://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/free-email-certificate.php

blkbelt65

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
sorry about the confusion, the recipient needs their own cert, that is why its secure.

how it works: Sender signs and encrypts the message. Only the addressee can decrypt it using their certificate and the sender's public key. If the certificate the addressee has does not match the email address the message was sent to and they don't also have a certificate for the senders address, they can't decrypt it.

comodo has a free certificate offer if you want a certificate so you can see how it works. http://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/free-email-certificate.php
Thanks so much, I'll check that out.

My only confusion is that this is for an insurance company with many, many clients; so every recipient would be responsible for acquiring a CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.