Create a contacts list on Exchange 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertin75

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hello:

Is there a way to create a contacts list in Exchange 2010?

Some kind of central repository that is not tied to any mailbox and that can be shared between users.

For example a Sales contacts list that will be accessed by 2 employees in which they can add/delete/edit contacts.

Thanks

Public folder contacts list, if your server has PF enabled. (Some hosted services don't support PF).

You can use GAL contacts, but its really not recommended for managing a large number of contacts and most users don't have the necessary permissions to update them or add new ones.

Final option is a shared mailbox - one not used by anyone for mail. Users can be given permission to edit and create in these folders. This is probably the easiest in most cases, although probably not desired if using a hosted server as you need to pay for mailbox.

So what's the procedure to do that?

The server does have the PF enabled and I already created a public folder named Sales Contacts but how am I supposed to add the contacts information?

Should I go to my Outlook (once I granted myself Owner permissions) and go to Open Shared Contacts, then select Public Folders?

Public Folders is empty as you can see from the picture.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/robertin75/PFMC.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/robertin75/PublicFolders.jpg

You need to move or copy existing contacts or create new ones in the PF.

Your outlook account needs owner permission so you can manage the permissions and such within outlook.

In Outlook, right click on the PF and choose Properties, Outlook Address book and enable it as an address book. Give permissions to others - they need to enable it as an address book and it will act like a contacts folder.

Your second screenshot (of the GAL) is for mail enabled public folders, not group contact folders.

Attachments

• pf-folder-address-book.jpg
    pf-folder-address-book.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,874
Nope, not necessary if you have a public folders database.

So what would be the procedure?

Go to the Public Folder Management Console like in my third post?

I'm kind of lost.

Thanks

Since you have the folder created, you are done in the FP manager, as long as your Outlook email account has owner permissions on the folder.

Open outlook, go to the PF (Folder list, Ctrl+6) and find the folder. Right click, properties, Outlook Address Book tab - enable it as an address book. Check the permissions tab, assign permissions as needed.

Move contacts into the folder, tell anyone who needs the contacts to enable it as an address book and you're done.

If its in Public Folder favorites it should show under the Other Contacts group in the contacts module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E How to create contacts group list with IMAP/iCloud? Using Outlook 2
D Can Exchange Admin Center create a pst for users email/contacts/calendar? Exchange Server Administration 0
F How to create phone number as links in notes of Contacts Using Outlook 2
C Create new Message with shared contacts & BCC'ing recipients Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Should a new email account also create new contacts Using Outlook 2
M regarding the Create Contacts From Messages code Using Outlook 8
Diane Poremsky Automatically Create Contacts From Messages Using Outlook 1
S How can I create a rule to move inbound emails from any of my contacts out of Inbox? Using Outlook 1
T Unable to create contacts subfolder in EAS profile Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
M Create Contacts?? Using Outlook 1
S [outlook-users] Create contact group from other user's contacts Using Outlook 1
G Possible to create reports that return contacts based on account criteria? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
M How to Create Macro in Visual Basic to add Contacts from Personal Folder Using Outlook 4
D I want to create subcategories under business contacts? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P How do I create a macro to add contacts from email messages? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Create new Contacts folder and populate it from Access Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V How to create add-in to delete duplicated contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Modify VBA to create a RULE to block multiple messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to create a button on the nav bar (module add-in) to run code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B How to create a button that sorts and selects the most recent message with ONE click Using Outlook 2
J PSA: How to create custom keyboard shortcut for "Paste Unformatted Text" in Outlook on Windows Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Wotme create email only data file Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 365 Help me create a Macro to make some received emails into tasks? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
Commodore Any way to create "from-only" account on Outlook 2021? Using Outlook 1
L Capture email addresses and create a comma separated list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
NVDon Create new Move To Folder list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Create Meeting With Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Create advanced search (email) via VBA with LONG QUERY (>1024 char) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Create ordinal numbers for birthday Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Outlook 365 - How to create / copy a new contact from an existing one? Using Outlook 5
D Create new email from the received Email Body with attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
A How to create fixed signatures for aliases that process through GMAIL? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can I create a Rule that sends me an email when I get a Task? Using Outlook 2
M How create a Rule to filter sender's email with more that one @ sign Using Outlook 1
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
Chiba Create an appointment for all the members Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Create a clickable custom column field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Create a custom contact form - questions before messing things up... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L automaticaly create a teams meeting with a sync Using Outlook 0
S Create A Search Folder That Looks For Message Class? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Nessa Can't create new appointment Using Outlook 1
A Create date folder and move messages daily Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Multiple email accounts - hesitate to create a new profile Using Outlook 3
G Can't create Folder Groups in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook rules don't create a copy for bcc'ed emails Using Outlook 3
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3