Outlook - icloud - iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cya

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I am using iphone and icloud with outlook (2010, 32bit) - can anyone recommend an alternative app to outlook that will offer calandar, contacts and email functionality. :(

I have used outlook for 15 years +, and love it, but i just cant work out what to do. The lack of functionality due to not being able to use icloud as he default data file has left me with no other option but to give up outlook.

or is there a work around....

the functions that dont work in outlook

- accepting invites goes to default cal - not icloud cal

- dropping appointments from family ical into icloud ical does not work but drag and drop to default outlook cal does

contacts and email are working fine :rolleyes:

Do you need one that syncs with the icloud? There are a lot of PIM type apps but only Outlook works with the icloud, unless you switch to mac.

FWIW, the problems are not Outlook's fault - Apple choose to write their own data store and they provided sync capability but it doesn't work for a lot of people.

CodeTwo has an icloud to outlook sync tool that will help keep the two folders in sync - (1) CodeTwo Sync for iCloud ? seamlessly sync Outlook with iPhone, iPad and other iCloud devices.

thank you Diane

icloud and outlook synch well, its the actions that only work with the default data file calendar that are an issue. I have two icals in icloud (personal and family) i cannot drag and drop from one to the other in outlook but from either icloud cal to the empty unused default outlook cal works. accepted invites go into the default outlook cal too. if i change the default data file to the icloud outlook does not open and I have to switch it back through control panel mail settings. is there a way to make icloud cal the default?

I do not want to switch to mac, then my husband wins. also office for mac lacks functionality.

thanks

one more question, does code two sync for icloud put the icloud data into outlooks default data file locations?

thanks again

thank you Diane

i cannot drag and drop from one to the other in outlook but from either icloud cal to the empty unused default outlook cal works.

I finally figured this one out - I kept trying to repro by dragging to/from outlook's native folders, not between the icloud folders. AFAIK, that is "normal" behavior and by apple's design.

accepted invites go into the default outlook cal too.

This is expected behavior - but they should sync to the icloud. Outlook needs the meetings in it's data file so it can update the original if the organizer changes it. (Several people said they end up duplicating and sending out new meetings - so it might be good that it doesn't sync.)

if i change the default data file to the icloud outlook does not open and I have to switch it back through control panel mail settings. is there a way to make icloud cal the default?

No, there is not - outlook needs its data file set as default. It stores a lot of account info in the default data file. The icloud folders were custom written by Apple and until the release of the icloud, outlook knew nothing about them.

I don't know if you've seen my icloud pages at Syncing iCloud and Outlook: Problems | Slipstick Systems - ithey cover some of this.

I finally figured this one out - I kept trying to repro by dragging to/from outlook's native folders, not between the icloud folders. AFAIK, that is "normal" behavior and by apple's design.

This is expected behavior - but they should sync to the icloud. Outlook needs the meetings in it's data file so it can update the original if the organizer changes it. (Several people said they end up duplicating and sending out new meetings - so it might be good that it doesn't sync.)

No, there is not - outlook needs its data file set as default. It stores a lot of account info in the default data file. The icloud folders were custom written by Apple and until the release of the icloud, outlook knew nothing about them.

I don't know if you've seen my icloud pages at Syncing iCloud and Outlook: Problems | Slipstick Systems - ithey cover some of this.

Diane I have followed your suggestions and had a look at your icloud pages, these are great and I am happy with the solution.

CodeTwo Sync for iCloud - has done the job - icloud contacts and calendar automatically copy to the outlook data file and all my issues are solved. I did have a bit of trouble with CodeTwo Sync for iCloud after installation, I needed to manually enable it through add-in options.

thanks again, cya

one more question, does code two sync for icloud put the icloud data into outlooks default data file locations?

thanks again

It's configurable - you can put it in any folder, but most people will use the default Outlook Calendar folder so it shows up in the to-do bar.

Hello, I am new to this online forum activity but I am glad I discovered it, as I thought my Outlook 2010 was going crazy converting all event notes to plain text. Now I know that iCloud 2 does not support it I can calm down a little. I have another issue, however. If I create a calendar event on my iPad it will sync to Outlook but it will not allow me to add and save additional notes in the note section from Outlook. I have to copy the notes, delete the event, recreate the event and paste the notes back in. At that point I can edit from either Outlook or iPad and it will sync. It appears as though I must use Outlook only to create new events and then it will sync? Any help? Beuller? Beuller?

Hi Diane

I had to restore my laptop to factory settings and re install and re setup everything - I thought I achieved a like for like setup but when I add body text to a calendar appointment and click save and close, all the body text is gone when I reopen it. the calendars are icloud ical - if the body text is added on the iphone it is there in outlook and remains there. Is this a rich text issue? how to I solve it I put a lot of booking info into my cal items?

thanks

Cya

Hi Diane

I had to restore my laptop to factory settings and re install and re setup everything - I thought I achieved a like for like setup but when I add body text to a calendar appointment and click save and close, all the body text is gone when I reopen it. the calendars are icloud ical - if the body text is added on the iphone it is there in outlook and remains there. Is this a rich text issue? how to I solve it I put a lot of booking info into my cal items?

thanks

Cya

I just found your post on opening the appointment, clicking forward, close email, now I can edit the appointment - It works!!

cant I just go back to icloud 1?

It shouldn't be rich text - but if you use icloud2, the note body is converted to plain text. I'll take a look at it - it's not something I noticed happening (but I don't usually add a lot of notes either.)

That was one of my early posts when I was trying to figure out why it worked for me and not others. Try opening the appointment and using Ctrl+V to paste in the body - that should work too. (It's why i had trouble figuring it out - I always use ctrl+v. ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.