Using mail merge with stationery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am using the Mail Merge function in MS Outlook to send emails to selected contacts but the emails do not use the stationery I have selected in Tools/Options/Mail Format. The reason I need the stationery to be included is because I have converted our monthly newsletter into a 'stationery' so that it appears on recipients' screens when they open the email without them having to double click on an attachment. Can anyone help?

Mimo

Try creating the stationary as a word document then use it as the document source. I don't know if it will work, I'm a guy, basic white looks good to me so I have not tried it. LOL I know you can't mail merge attachments, you need to use a 3rd party utility. I also know attachments turn into images if you try to do it in word, so I know mail merge can send images. For this reason, I think merging to a document designed like the stationery will work.

Otherwise, the other option is use the BCC field and send the message to the masses, use a 3rd party bulk mailer program, or try one of the mail merge ultlities.

Mass Mail Tools for Outlook | Slipstick Systems

Try creating the stationary as a word document then use it as the document source. I don't know if it will work, I'm a guy, basic white looks good to me so I have not tried it. LOL I know you can't mail merge attachments, you need to use a 3rd party utility. I also know attachments turn into images if you try to do it in word, so I know mail merge can send images. For this reason, I think merging to a document designed like the stationery will work.

Otherwise, the other option is use the BCC field and send the message to the masses, use a 3rd party bulk mailer program, or try one of the mail merge ultlities.

Mass Mail Tools for Outlook | Slipstick Systems

Thanks for your thoughts Larry. I too am completely satisfied with white (!) but am not concerned with the background colour - I have a nine-page document, perfectly formatted with links to previous month's newsletters all set up as 'stationery' which I would struggle to replicate in MS Word. It has graphs and tables etc., so at the moment I simply click on 'new message' and the cursor is sitting at the top of this nine-page document ready for me to write a few sentences as a cover note before I press 'send'. I want to use Mail Merge so I can send the same covering message with this document to a few hundred people, but Mail Merge cancels the Stationery you have chosen. Might there be a solution in VBA?

Since mail merge does not work in Outlook directly (you need to work in Word and send to Outlook), I would try one of the utilities at the link larry posted. The only other option is to use the BCC field and insert all addresses.

How badly does it get screwed up If you save as HTML and open in Word, or select all and paste into word?

Hyperlinks used to be broken during mail merges - not sure if that is still the case, so its possible doing it in word won't work anyway. Test it before tweaking the pages.

It is possible to use VBA to send a message created from a template but I don't have code that would read an address list - the utilities are affordable, with a good ROI unless you are a good VBA coder and can whip something out in an hour or two.

Since mail merge does not work in Outlook directly (you need to work in Word and send to Outlook), I would try one of the utilities at the link larry posted. The only other option is to use the BCC field and insert all addresses.

How badly does it get screwed up If you save as HTML and open in Word, or select all and paste into word?

Hyperlinks used to be broken during mail merges - not sure if that is still the case, so its possible doing it in word won't work anyway. Test it before tweaking the pages.

It is possible to use VBA to send a message created from a template but I don't have code that would read an address list - the utilities are affordable, with a good ROI unless you are a good VBA coder and can whip something out in an hour or two.

Thanks Diane. I will try to arrange it in HTML in MS Word - having just asked my design team to prepare it as stationery I'm hesitating before going straight back to them to ask them now to prepare it in Word, especially as they have told me it is not as simple as it sounds due to the repagination Word insists on doing (as stationery it flows well in email HTML format) - but as regards the utilities you suggest, it does seem strange that one would have to buy an additional programme when everything I want is available in Outlook and Word. I just need it to stop suppressing my choice of stationery!

It has to do with the way outside programs call up Outlook - it's after the stationery would be added.

Before the design team does anything, you need to test it and make sure the urls work. If they don't, you'll need to use a a utility or bulk mail program.

Status
Not open for further replies.