help: where are outlook2000 email accounts stored

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootstrap

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
My winxp64 system crashed and burned --- meaning, it won't boot up any more.

I can boot into an alternate copy of winxp64 from another drive, and see the files on my crashed winxp64 disk.

I copied my outlook2000 outlook.pst file from my old-crashed drive to the appropriate (same) location my new drive. When I start outlook2000, all my old emails do indeed exist in my inbox, delete and send folders. So far so good.

However, none of my email accounts exist in the new outlook2000 on my new disk.

I created those accounts, but they do not work! I can't figure out why, especially since the "send and receive" dialog shows outlook going through the various accounts without errors (showing green checkmark next to each as it goes).

I definitely have emails waiting on the server for these accounts, because I can log into cpanel in my host/domain and go look at my email accounts --- lots of email waiting for me.

I have no idea why this is happening, but the OBVIOUS solution is to bring into this new outlook2000 my old account settings. But WHERE DID OUTLOOK2000 STORE THOSE SETTINGS ???

Note that my outlook2000s are just set up as simple email clients, not exchange clients.

Where can I find my old email account settings so I can transfer them over and catch up on my old emails?

Thanks!

The account configuration is in the registry. While you could use it, it references the path and GUID and may result in errors.

You don't get any send and recieve errors? You should get something - server not found or authetication failures.

The account configuration is in the registry. While you could use it, it references the path and GUID and may result in errors.

You don't get any send and recieve errors? You should get something - server not found or authetication failures.

Yes, this is the first time I've ever seen outlook appear to succeed but not download any emails.

Here is my best guess about that.

I have several domains hosted by one hosting company (one main domain plus several add-on domains). When I access those email accounts via internet-explorer and cpanel, the login and password always relates to the main domain... but all accounts are then listed in the horde webmail program.

I'm pretty sure the username and password login for all those email accounts is identical, especially since I definitely never had any other usernames and passwords for the other add-on domains in the past, and my outlook2000 has been working fine for years this way. But the fact that all accounts appear to work (green checkmark) but receive no email makes me wonder if all those accounts are actually downloading from one location (some location that has no email pending).

Very strange. Any ideas?

PS: WHERE in the registry? And is the information human readable? Oh, one thing. I do know my old registry is gone, so I can't access it anyway. Damn! So maybe I just need help configuring my outlook (or thunderbird?) email client.

it's possible it's looknig in the wrong place. Try it with only one account and see if it works. You can open your profile in Control panel, Mail and copy it then remove the other accounts from it. This way you don't have to make a new profile. See if it works.

it's possible it's looknig in the wrong place. Try it with only one account and see if it works. You can open your profile in Control panel, Mail and copy it then remove the other accounts from it. This way you don't have to make a new profile. See if it works.

My control panel (windows xp 64-bit) has no "mail" entry.

I deleted ALL my email accounts, then created a new one for the main email account on my main domain. It behaves just exactly like before (outlook indicates no errors).

Yikes!

If you don't see Mail, switch to Icon list view or use the search field to find it.

If you don't see Mail, switch to Icon list view or use the search field to find it.

No matter what view in control panel, no "mail". I guess winxp64 is old enough to be different. But this isn't a big deal. The big deal is not being able to make email work. Yikes.

Winxp64 is not old - try looking in the 32 bit app category.

BTW, if its not there, try a repair. Or try typing Mlcfg32.cpl in the run command.

Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937763 - its not the right version of outlook, but see if the key exists.

cannot download email from host

I am running a fresh install of outlook2000 on winxp64. I copied the outlook.pst file from my old system disk (which crashed badly enough that I cannot boot or restore - the registry file is gone). Anyway, outlook2000 starts up okay, and all my emails appear in the drafts, inbox, delete and send folders as they should.

I had to re-create my email accounts because they could not be recovered from my crashed disk. No problem I figured, since I've created accounts dozens of times before, and they worked.

Here is the problem. When I tell outlook to send-and-receive emails, it displays the appropriate dialog, goes down the list of accounts one-by-one and puts a green checkmark next to the name to indicate "success". However, it doesn't download any emails!

I know this is wrong because I can log into cpanel on the host that carries my several domains, go to web-mail, and look through my email accounts. For the past 3 days more and more emails are appearing in those accounts, and I can read them in the web-mail application. But outlook doesn't download them --- or remove them from the server, fortunately.

I've been futzing with my email accounts on the assumption my brain malfunctioned and I cannot remember some detail of how to create email accounts and set the settings appropriately.

Today, out of desperation, I ran the thunderbird client on my 64-bit ubuntu 12.04 computer for the first time, and set up accounts there too... with the same results! Though it doesn't have any equivalent of "green checkmarks", when I select "get messages" for one (or all) the accounts, nothing appears in the inboxes.

This makes me wonder. Is there some situation that can cause outlook (and other email clients) to fail to download emails from the email server while acting as if nothing is wrong? What can cause this situation?

Winxp64 is not old - try looking in the 32 bit app category.

BTW, if its not there, try a repair. Or try typing Mlcfg32.cpl in the run command.

Also see The Mail icon is missing from Control Panel after you upgrade to Office 2003 by using a custom transform (.mst) file that contains an Office Profile Settings (.ops) file - its not the right version of outlook, but see if the key exists.

I found mlcfg32.cpl on my disk and executed it. It looks and runs just like the account settings dialog within outlook2000. I created a new email account but it fails to work in exactly the same way as the other email accounts I created and configured within outlook2000.

BTW, today I'm thinking the problem might see something rather obscure or strange or possibly even "elsewhere". Why? Because I run thunderbird client on my ubuntu linux system and it too fails to download the emails that I know are on the host server (because I can see them when I log into the cpanel interface to my domains at my host, execute the web-mail app, and see lots of emails waiting in my email accounts. I posted a separate question just moments ago because it takes a different approach.

Re: cannot download email from host

What antivirus and firewall are you using? A firewall blocking shouldn't cause Outlook to successfully connect to the mail server but antivirus that is filtering email could hijack the calls to the server and make the client think it is connecting.

Because I run thunderbird client on my ubuntu linux system

This throws a wrench into my theory. I was assuming same windows setup as outlook. If its failing on linux without errors, I'd look at a router or hardware firewall that is filtering ports. Yet, if you haven't tinkered with other hardware, its odd that it would have a changed setting.

My winxp64 system does not have any anti-virus program on it, and it never has.

Furthermore, the windows firewall is disabled.

I have no anti-virus or firewall on my 64-bit ubuntu 12.04 system either.

The only sorta-firewall that might exist is my wireless router. My winxp64 system and ubuntu64 system are both plugged into the netgear router, which is plugged into my cable-modem, which is plugged into the cable connector on the wall.

To make this less confusing, I merged the threads... I'm pretty sure its not a firewall on the computer - it has to be something on the network or the mail server for both linux and windows to have problems. Or you have the accounts configured wrong or something - but that is not likely since you have multiple accounts configured and all are affected.

To make this less confusing, I merged the threads... I'm pretty sure its not a firewall on the computer - it has to be something on the network or the mail server for both linux and windows to have problems. Or you have the accounts configured wrong or something - but that is not likely since you have multiple accounts configured and all are affected.

We seem stuck in figuring out why both my outlook2000 and thunderbird don't receive email that is on the mail server when they "send and receive".

Would you be willing to set up one of my email accounts on your outlook/computer to see whether that downloads emails?

If that works, my router must be at fault.

It that doesn't work, the remote mail server at my domain host must be at fault.

You willing to give it a try? If so, I'll give you my account settings for one of my unimportant email accounts. I sent a couple emails to it from gmail to make sure there's something in there.

Willing to give it a shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.