Syncing OWA 2010 to Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

techs

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

My work uses OWA 2010. I use Outlook 2007 at home.

I have successfully synced my Android phone and iPad to OWA. It was simple: enter email address, username, domain, server address, password. Done.

I've had no luck configuring Outlook 2007 to sync with OWA so far. I've read 20 to 30 webpage tutorials explaining how to configure HTTP Exchange. No luck.

I've been switching authentication modes, cached mode on and off, logon security type among other settings. I've also been changing what is entered in "user name" between the following:

windows login name (e.g., techs)

windows login name with domain (e.g., domain\techs)

email address (e.g., tech.some@address.com)

name in email address only (e.g., tech.some)

I believe #3 is correct since the OWA server name is not the same as "address.com" and I believe I need to type "domain\techs" in the login box which appears after opening Outlook.

If anyone can confirm my last statement, it would give me something to stop changing.

This has been very frustrating since Android and iOS were so easy to configure and also because I keep logging into my OWA page after every two tries in fear that I may inadvertently lock my account.

Thanks for any help!

The droid and ipad use Exchange active Sync - Outlook uses Outlook Anywhere to connect using Extended MAPI.

Depending server configuration, you either need domain\alias or alias@domain.com

What happens if you use autodiscovery? You may need to put the server ip address in the Hosts file - but i would first verify with the administrator that outlook anywhere is enabled.

The droid and ipad use Exchange active Sync - Outlook uses Outlook Anywhere to connect using Extended MAPI.

Depending server configuration, you either need domain\alias or alias@domain.com

What happens if you use autodiscovery? You may need to put the server ip address in the Hosts file - but i would first verify with the administrator that outlook anywhere is enabled.

Thanks Diane, I think this might be my problem.

Do you know if there have been any committed efforts at syncing Outlook using Active Sync instead of Outlook Anywhere for cases when OA isn't activated? I am betting our IT department has not and will not enable both.

I'm not at liberty to say for a couple of weeks. :)

Thank you Diane. Do you know if there is a solution to sync Outlook desktop to Exchange using ActiveSync? It appears Outlook Anywhere is not activated and my IT department will not override the global policy.

Reading between the lines, will this apply to current versions or only the next version?

Well... you probably already know Outlook 2013 supports ActiveSync for the Hotmail family... it should work with Exchange 2010/2013 if the admins don't block Outlook from connecting via EAS. EAS support for older versions is not expected.

Also - I was neglectful in not commenting on this before

I've had no luck configuring Outlook 2007 to sync with OWA so far. I've read 20 to 30 webpage tutorials explaining how to configure HTTP Exchange. No luck.

HTTP rarely works these days - it uses HTTP, not HTTPS, and very few companies use plain old HTTP for OWA anymore.

Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTP) is much more secure and a better experience than HTTP access - it is usually enabled along with OWA. But some companies like more control and refuse to enable it. :(

I had installed the trial of 2010 before reading your message and still haven't been able to connect via ActiveSync. I'll see if I can install a trial of 2013.

If I install 2013, would I still configure under control panel > mail to connect via ActiveSync?

Thanks.

After installing the 365 Preview I can answer my own question with a yes. However, there is no "domain" field in the ActiveSync setup and when I try to configure the account I receive a login error stating that my username or password are incorrect.

After a bit of Googling I don't see a way to enter the domain information- every other device I've configured for use with EAS has required the domain and did not function if the domain was entered incorrectly.

I tried adding the domain\ in front of my username but that made the server itself unreachable.

Any ideas?

hit the wrong button. :) Attached is a screenshot from my iPad to Office365 account. This is an older account and its on Exchange 20910 server, but it should work the same for all exchange subscriptions.

2013-01-05 00.36.10.png

Tried the domain name before my username and before the email address both with a forward slash and a backslash (total of four configurations). Same results with all four.

My iPad setup is very similar but the domain name field is not 'optional'. The same goes for Android setups.

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Did you use domain.com as the domain name? Or just type something, like Tech.

Is your email alias the account name? Most of the time it is, but it doesn't have to be.

The domain name is three letters, the name of my company (no .com or anything like that). The email address and network login/account name are different from each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.