Customizing Tasks form in Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawondr

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi, I have a 2 part question I'm hoping someone can help me with or at least point me in the right direction please.

Please keep in mind my knowledge on this stuff is very minimal. I read a bunch of the posts on here trying to see if this has already been answered but I think I'm even more confused now :)

I went to tasks and modified how I want the columns to look but when you open a new task, the form doesn't have most of what I want on it. I have attached a sheet that shows the form and what columns I would like to have also represented on the form. So my first question is how do I modify the form? I saw a few links that speak about modifying other forms, and notes that the task form is complicated. Does anyone have the procedures in such a way that I can understand them?

My second question, and I'm sure I am now biting off more than I can chew but... I was hoping to use outlook tasks to replace an excel sheet I had created and am wondering (hoping) if it is possible to replicate some of the things I had in excel into this form, such as:

• I have a column labeled account. I only have 10 accounts. I also have a column labeled contact. There are 5 or 6 contacts per company. If I choose an account, let's say IBM from a drop-down menu, then only the 5 or 6 contact names for IBM are listed in the contact column. If I had chosen AT&T then only the AT&T contact names would show in the drop down box for customers.
  • For the accounts, I have the background of the cell a different color based on the customer. AT&T always Red and Pepsi is always Blue... easier for me to manage, I usually have 50 to 75 open task at any one time.
  • Then I have another 6 columns that I can pick from drop-down menus.

Can this be done in outlook? Is it fairly easy? It took me a couple of months to learn how to do it all in Excel, I couldn't grasp the concept of doing any of it in VB. Those are my questions, If anyone can help or let me know of a link that even someone like I could follow it would be greatly appreciated.

I could not attach the screen shots. It said It can only be up to a 19.5K file. Even zipped it is 43K

Dave

Can it be done in Outlook: most, if not all, is possible in Outlook.

Will it be easy: no.

To modify a form, you need to go into forms Designer. In outlook 2007, open a new task, enabled developer ribbon and then choose Design this form.

See Designing Custom Outlook Forms for basic information.

Re: screenshot size. I thought the admin changed that to allow larger files. Will have to check on that.

Thank you Diane,

If I can push my luck and ask one more question, since modifying the task form is more complicated because you can not modify their form, do you or anyone else have any examples of that? It's kind of like building it from scratch I think so any additional help would be appriciated.

Thank you again for what you have shared with me.

Dave

I wouldn't say it more difficult, just more work since you need to put the fields on p.2 and hide page 1. You can use most, if not all, of the fields that are on page 1.

Try this: In Outlook's main window, Go to Tools, Forms, Design a Form. Select Task form.

Click on (P.2) tab. The Field Chooser dialog should open ,if not click Field chooser in the ribbon.

Drag the frequently used fields to the page.

Select the Task page, go to Page > Display this page to remove the check from it. Task tab is now (Task).

Use 'Run this form' to see how it looks/ works.

Control Toolbox has controls that are used for custom fields - plus Frame control so you can group fields together.

Diane,

Thank you very much. It took me a few days before I was able to try what you said and that is much easier than what I had read prior. Thank you again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.