OL2003 (HTTP proxy) update time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackPollack

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Trying to get my OL2003 (connected via Exchange over Internet HTTP proxy in cached mode) to update faster (check for new message). I have tried changing both these reg keys

<code></code>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Cached Mode

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11\Outlook\Cached Mode

Download: 1 (10)

Maximum: 0a (10)

They dont appear to make any difference. I see the new message in OWN about 90 seconds before Outlook receives it.

90 seconds is way too slow - it should be no longer than 30 seconds. I'd use a Maximum value higher than the download though - maybe 11 seconds.

Look in Send and Receive settings (Ctrl+Alt+S) - select the send and receive group and then Edit. Is the Exchange account selected? It shouldn't be. It should have a red x on the account in the account list on the left.

Did the key exist in the policies path? If so, the admin set that with group policies.

The exchange account is not included (nothing is as it is the only account I am using). There is a red X on the account. I created the reg key, it did not exist

no, I don't have any ideas. As Larry mentioned, default is 15 and 30 seconds, so 90 seconds is not a default setting. Something else is causing it to be slow.

Does it work ok in Safe mode? To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.

So I just ran another test. Sent 3 separate emails at different times.

Sent from hotmail to my exchange account.

Hotmail --> OWA 2 seconds all tries

Hotmail --> to my cell phone (exchange) 3 seconds all tries

Hotmail --> OL2003 safe mode - first time 10 seconds, second try 80 seconds, 3rd try 50 seconds.

Dont get it!

10 seconds is normal, 50 high on the high side and 80 seconds is way too long. You could try clearing the offline folder and see if that helps - right click on the Inbox and choose properties then clear offline files.

Clearing the inbox didnt help.

I just realized (and am surprised I didnt think of it sooner and also that no one else mentioned).My AV software scans my incoming email. When I turned off the AV software I consistently cut 30 seconds off my time. So now I am in the 50 second area all the time.

Tried the 2 reg setting again, they still have no effect. Any idea why these settings have no effect?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Cached Mode

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11\Outlook\Cached Mode

Download: 1 (10)

Maximum: 0a (10)

Status
Not open for further replies.