Status
Not open for further replies.

arashd

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Dear Team:

If some of you could help me figure out what is going on here + help me resolveit, I would be very grateful.

I have a personal e-mail account that I use with Outlook 2010. I use a pop3 server to receive my e-mail. My ISP is TimeWarner Cable in Southern California.

As of a week ago, a large number of PDF attachments that I receive in my Outlook 2010 Inbox are corrupted. The error I get with Acrobat Professional and Reader is: "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired."

If first tried to reinstall Acrobat Professional and Reader thinking that the issue was with them. Not so.

I have set up my pop3 account to automatically forward all messages to my Yahoo account as well. When I check the same messages via my Yahoo account and download the PDF attachments, they are not corrupted. They are also not corrupted when I log into my e-mail account directly (which is managed by IPower) on the IPower servers before they are downloaded via pop3 into my Outlook 2010 Inbox. Over there, the PDFs are fine too.

Something is happening between my pop3 server and the time I cilck on the attachment in Outlook 2010 that is corrupting the documents.

Could it be my ISP TimeWarner? But here is the issue, when I forward messages from my Yahoo account to my Outlook account, I am able to open those messages just fine. I'm also able to upload PDF documents as attachments via my Yahoo account and send them to myself and when downloaded via Outlook 2010, those attachments are fine too.

So what is going on and why is it that a large number of my PDFs are suddently getting corrupted? Should I reinstall Outlook 2010?

Thanks,

AD

What antivirus do you use? That is the most likely cause. You can test it by closing outlook and restarting in Safe mode. Try opening pdf's that were downloaded in Safe mode and see if they open. Previously downloaded pdfs probably won't open - you need to test it with newly downloaded ones.

To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.

I am experiencing almost the same problem and it is driving me nuts.

PDFs come up corrupt when trying to open them in Outlook 2010. If you open the same exact email through the web portal then it opens fine. On a different computer in Outlook 2010 the file will open fine. So this corruption does not occur on the email server. It has something to do with Outlook on certain computers.

I have tried opening Outlook in safe mode and that doesn't work. I have tried deleting the account and that doesn't work. I have tried deleting the account then deleting the PST file and the problem still occurs.

Any suggestions of what else I can try short of re-installing windows.

If it works in Safe mode, it would only be for items downloaded while in Safe mode. It's previously corrupted will remain corrupt.

What antivirus do you use?

If you save the pdf, can you open it from the hard drive?

My antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials. You can not open the pdf by saving it to the desktop.

If you use MES then it's not the antivirus. It's not the message because you can't open it at all. I'll ask my contact about it.

We have fixed the issue by fixing a script that was creating and mailing the pdf. It was doing some funky encoding that for some reason Outlook didn't like... not Outlook in general but only a couple specific users Outlook(which is still confusing to why it was happening and only to a couple users).

So our issue has been fixed. Thanks for the help.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.