Backing up Exchange Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have a client who has moved from POP to hosted Exchange for his emails. As a Marketing guy his emails are precious and recently the exchange servers had a blip which meant he didnt have access to his mail. He now wants me to back them up so he has Offline Access. Prior to moving to exchange I installed the Personal Folders backup utility to back up his Outlook pst. However now he is on exchange with .ost files it appears less straight forward.

• Firstly presumably there is no equivalent to Personal Folder Backup that copies .ost files?
  • Secondly with a PST file you can move it to another location other than the default under the user profile. I have tried this with the OST files but Outlook doesnt prompt for the file location but just recreates them. Is there a correct way to change the file location for OST files?
  • Finally can .ost files be backed up whilst online or are they locked like a pst. ?

Many thanks

Fozzie

Forum Admin

No, there is not a version for ost files. Traditionally, the server would be keeping a backup, plus the ost is available for offline access, so backups aren't deemed necessary. You could export to a local pst - and should do this if you are changing hosts or have a need to open the contents of the mailbox from a second profile that can't connect to the mailbox.

No, ost files can't be moved that way. (You shouldn't use that method with pst files any more either.) You need to do it within the profile. Moving an Outlook offline data file (*.ost)

It depends on the software, but generally speaking, outlook needs to be closed to backup ost or pst files. Some backup software can backup files while in use.

New method for moving pst

Forum Admin

No, there is not a version for ost files. Traditionally, the server would be keeping a backup, plus the ost is available for offline access, so backups aren't deemed necessary. You could export to a local pst - and should do this if you are changing hosts or have a need to open the contents of the mailbox from a second profile that can't connect to the mailbox.

No, ost files can't be moved that way. (You shouldn't use that method with pst files any more either.) You need to do it within the profile. http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/moving-outlook-ost-file/

It depends on the software, but generally speaking, outlook needs to be closed to backup ost or pst files. Some backup software can backup files while in use.

New method for moving pst

Status
Not open for further replies.