Tracking sent emails

judy

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
I send emails to approximately 200 employees that I need to confirm were opened by the employee. Rather than selecting "Request a read receipt," I want to be able to open the sent email, and select Tracking from the Show Group under the message tab of the sent email. This appears to be a better method of assuring the employees opened the email rather than receiving 200 individual confirmation emails. However, the Show Group does not appear on the ribbon when I open the sent email. Is this an add on function or a configuration issue? Thank you.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
That only comes up when tracking is enabled. Unfortunately, in Outlook/Exchange world, requesting receipts is the only way (unlike how Lotus Notes and/or GroupWise does it.)

There is a 3rd party method of tracking via web bugs - you send out a specially crafted messages with an image in it and you can see who downloaded the image from the server.

judy

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Thank you for your response. How is "tracking" enabled?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
When the receipts come back and Outlook processes them, the tracking page comes alive. You can turn on automatic processing in File, Options, Mail - its near the bottom. If automatically update option is not selected, you need to open each receipt before outlook processes it.