Archiving & IMAP

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
If Outlook is only set to only download headers on an IMAP account, when auto archive runs I assume it will only archive the headers. Would that be correct? And then the original message will be deleted from the server next time a sync occurs, if I understand correctly. So then the message and attachments would be lost, and all I have in the local archive is the header? Or does it create an archive folder on the server and put the message in there? Thanks

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
OK thanks. I think that is what I am seeing. When I manually move an email with an 6 MB attachment (Outlook was set to download headers only) into the archive folder, the size of the archive pst goes up by 6 MB. So it looks like it retrieves the entire email before it archives it? Which creates another problem. I've set this to download headers only because this user has thousands of old emails she says she needs to save (Gmail accessed via IMAP), and it was running really really slow on Outlook 2010. So I created a new profile and set it to download headers only. Now it runs ok. But if I set up archiving, it will download all those emails in full, then when the archive folder is accessed, she will be back to slow running I assume. Would you agree with that assumption? And is there a way around this? Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You will need the full message to archive.

Are you aware that gmail has a setting to only sync the last xx number of imap messages?

The other option is move old mail out of the inbox online then subscribe only the inbox and other necessary folders - this lets you keep gmail as an archive but keep outlook smaller. Don't subscribe the [gmail]\all mail folder - you'll have duplicates of everything in Outlook. If there is mail you don't need in Outlook, set up rules online to move them out of the inbox.

How to configure Outlook with Gmail IMAP Accounts - Slipstick Systems

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
The other option is move old mail out of the inbox online then subscribe only the inbox and other necessary folders - this lets you keep gmail as an archive but keep outlook smaller. Don't subscribe the [gmail]\all mail folder - you'll have duplicates of everything in Outlook. If there is mail you don't need in Outlook, set up rules online to move them out of the inbox.
That's a good idea, I am looking into that. Thanks