Remove iCloud so I can have original outlook calendar and contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The contacts were permanently deleted on the mac? Is there a trash folder in iCloud.com ? (I'll check that next.)

I'm not sure what the backup contains - it's definitely apps, but could have user data too. I'm not betting either way because I'll probably lose.

- - - Updated - - -

The contacts were permanently deleted on the mac? Is there a trash folder in iCloud.com ? (I'll check that next.)

I'm not sure what the backup contains - it's definitely apps, but could have user data too. I'm not betting either way because I'll probably lose.

No on a trash folder in iCloud.com - i can't find one. :( If they are in the trash on the mac, and you don't have a back up, they are gone. Sorry.

Hi Diane,

I'm also having issues with icloud. Pity Apple dont tell you to be careful before adding icloud.

Sending an email and clicking on 'To' to add recipient from address book it tells me 'contacts folder cant be opened'.

Turns out it 'cloud folder' . I dont use it. Window comes up and I can then find my personal contact folders.

I've tried deleting icloud folder and get message saying its not there!!

I've tried Tools _ Accounts - Address books - only one listed is 'Outlook Address Book - MAPI.

As with others I would like to get rid of icloud. I guess its come from iphone

Heres hoping :)

Nev

sorry, I missed this earlier. :)

Are all of your appointments, contacts and tasks in Outlook's folders? If not, move them...

Sign out of the icloud control panel. Open Outlook and make sure the icloud is gone from outlook. If not, go to file, account settings, data files and remove the icloud data file.

If you use other icloud features, sign back in to the icloud control panel but don't enable outlook sync.

I have a Windows 10 machine with Outlook 2016. I need to set iCloud so that it only syncs with the Outlook 2016 calendar. I don't want it to sync contacts, tasks, or anything else that's in Outlook.

The trouble is that I opened iTunes, connected my iPhone, & then probably clicked "Yes" on syncing everything. I ended up with all my Outlook Contacts, Tasks, & Calendars in both iCloud & on my iPhone. My calendar has several duplicates, but only on past events.

1) If I delete all the tasks & most of the contacts in iCloud, so that it's deleted from iPhone, will this also delete it from Outlook? (I have a backup because fortunately, I also have Outlook 2003 on a WinXP machine. I can just copy Outlook.pst back to Outlook 2016 & get back everything in Outlook 2016.)

2) How can I then set up iCloud/Outlook, so only the calendar will sync?

3) And how can I avoid duplicate caldenar entries in the future?
(It seems that when I deleted or revised certain appointments in Outlook & then sync'd with iCloud, it picked up both the old deleted ones & the new ones. It also duplicated certain recurring events, like birthdays & anniversaries.)

Thank you in advance,

Are you using icloud sync or itunes? If itunes and everything is still in your outlook pst, you can turn off sync in itunes. if icloud, sign out of icloud and when it asked if you want a backup copy, say yes. Sign back in and select the folders to sync, choosing only calendar. Move the contacts and tasks from the icloud backup folders (probably called Contacts from iCloud, Tasks from icloud) to your Contacts & Tasks folders then delete the contacts & tasks from the icloud's folders.

Hi Diane:
Thank you for the quick reply. I've had so much trouble with Windows 10 & am thoroughly confused. I'm not sure whether iTunes or iCloud was used. I connected my iPhone to iTunes. Something downloaded called iCloudSetup.exe. Then I followed prompts. Next thing I know is everything in Outlook copied to iCloud & to my iPhone. When I connect my iPhone to iTunes, I don't have an automatic sync set up.

I don't know how to turn off sync in iTunes for Outlook (I do want to sync with the iPhone in iTunes, once I get rid of the excess contacts). I was able to delete the tasks in iCloud.

I signed into iCloud in my browser. Then I signed out. However, it did not ask me if I wanted a backup copy. I just signed in again using Google Chrome.

I'm sorry for being so dense. I had no problem with using Outlook or Windows XP, but everything in Windows 10 seems to be difficult for me. Could you explain in simple steps where I go to get an iCloud backup & where I can get options to sync only calendar. Right now, I can't find any options in iTunes, iCloud, or Outlook as far as syncing between iCloud & Outlook.

Thanks again,

I signed into iCloud in my browser. Then I signed out. However, it did not ask me if I wanted a backup copy. I just signed in again using Google Chrome.
Not in a browser, in the icloud applet in the notification tray (down by the windows clock).

To switch back to use itunes to sync, you need to change a setting on the phone to turn off icloud sync (but i forget where :() - then you'll be able to set sync up in itunes.

Hi Diane:
Thank you again! Sorry for the delay in responding, but I screwed up my iPhone & was on a phone with support for a couple hours & had to restore my phone. Anyhow, I still remember you from the old Microsoft newsgroups when I used to contribute to Microsoft Word...back when I had Windows 95.

OK. Now I've been able to do almost everything that I wanted...especially since I understand what you've said.

Here's my only (I hope) remaining problem. I want to sync Outlook 2016 calendar with iCloud, BUT I don't want to sync my tasks or contacts with iCloud. When I click on the Windows iCloud icon, it gives me an all or nothing option...Contacts, Calendar, & Tasks. I could have sworn that I saw a dialog box at one point that let me choose what to sync, but I can't find it. Is there a way to sync only the calendar?

Thanks again, Diane!

When you use icloud, it syncs anything in the icloud folders. The original icloud allowed you to choose if i recall correctly - but the new ones sync all. But... if the folders are empty, there won't be anything to sync - so just move tasks and contacts to the folders in the pst.

I'm not sure how to move the tasks & contacts to "folders in the pst". Outlook.pst is a file & I thought that it contains all the information for calendar, tasks, contacts, & other settings. And if I do move tasks & contacts, will Outlook display them differently than they are now. I have 2 Outlooks...2016 on the Win 10 machine & Outlook 2003 on my WinXP machine. To keep them sync'd, I copy the outlook.pst file back & forth between the 2 computers.

Open the icloud folder, select all and move (or copy( to the same folder in Outlook.

And if I do move tasks & contacts, will Outlook display them differently than they are now. I have 2 Outlooks...2016 on the Win 10 machine & Outlook 2003 on my WinXP machine. To keep them sync'd, I copy the outlook.pst file back & forth between the 2 computers.
Outlook pst files do not sync calendar, contacts, or tasks. if you need them on the other computer, set up icloud on each and let it handle the syncing. oh wait, icloud doesn't work with 2003 - the method you use now (sneakernet) will continue to work if you move the items back into the pst.

Thanks, Diane. Moving the Outlook.pst file from one computer to the next is fine. What I was hoping to do was to work (make changes in tasks, contacts, etc.) with Outlook 2016 AND have just it's calendar sync with iCloud, so that my iPhone would also be in sync. Then I could copy the Outlook.pst file from Outlook 2016 to Outlook 2003.

Unfortunately, until Windows decides to separate syncing tasks, contacts, & calendars separately, I won't be able to do that.

Unfortunately, until Windows decides to separate syncing tasks, contacts, & calendars separately, I won't be able to do that.
You can do it - but you need to delete the contents of those other two folders from the icloud. (you can set the phone to not sync those folders).

Thank you again Diane,

So you mean that I set Windows iCloud to sync Outlook's calendar, contacts, & tasks. Then I go to iCloud & delete all the tasks & contacts, leaving only the calendar. But currently, I sync the iPhone with iCloud using Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, & Notes. I was hoping to keep those settings in case I lose one of those on my phone.

I'm thinking that if I
1. Turn off iCloud sync on my phone for contacts (I don't think there's a place for tasks).
2. Sync Outlook's calendar, contacts, & tasks.
3. Go to iCloud & delete all tasks & contacts. But wouldn't I have to disconnect the sync between Outlook & iCloud?? Otherwise, deleting tasks & contacts in iCloud would delete them from Outlook, wouldn't it?

Also, would I have to go every day (or more than once a day) to iCloud & delete contacts & tasks?

Sorry for being so dense, but this is making my head swim. :)

if you want the icloud for backup, you can leave it in outlook - you'll need to export the tasks that are in it to a pst to copy to the other computer. New items you create should go into the pst, unless you specifically create them in the icloud. The only drawback is that you might have two copies of the tasks in your profile.

You can turn off contact and tasks (reminders) in icloud settings on the phone.

File Apr 04, 12 35 20 AM.png

Thanks again, Diane. I don't think that will work for me. First, I don't want two copies of tasks as that would be confusing, & secondly, I want to sync my contacts on my iPhone with iCloud, but not with Outlook. That is, I have about 40-50 contacts on my iPhone & almost 500 in Outlook...more than I want to have on my iPhone.

My hope was create tasks only in Outlook 2016 & not have them sync with anything. Once a day, I copy the Outlook.pst file from Outlook 2016 to Outlook 2003. I also wanted to do the same thing with Contacts...that is, create or modify them in Outlook 2016 & not have them sync with anything. My iPhone contacts would be entirely separate from Outlook, but would sync with iCloud (just the 40-50).

I would create Calendar events in either Outlook 2016 or on my iPhone & have them sync with each other (through iCloud). I don't see a way to do all that, do you?

if you want the icloud for backup, you can leave it in outlook - you'll need to export the tasks that are in it to a pst to copy to the other computer. New items you create should go into the pst, unless you specifically create them in the icloud. The only drawback is that you might have two copies of the tasks in your profile.

You can turn off contact and tasks (reminders) in icloud settings on the phone.

View attachment 1899
Hi Diane:
I think I've solved the problem. I was using the wrong tools. I don't have to sync Outlook with iCloud at all. If I go into iTunes, plug in my iPhone, & click "Info", there are separate options to sync Outlook Calendar & Contacts. The only catch is that you must turn off iCloud Calendars sync on the iPhone for the option to appear in iTunes. So if I just sync Outlook calendar using iTunes, I can still sync my iPhone's reminders & contacts with iCloud. This way, I think I can accomplish my purpose. When I tried it, it said my phone had been sync'd with an old account & asked me if I wanted to use that one or my current one. I think I need to contact Apple to find out what that means.

In the meantime, I'll let you know if this works. The only disadvantages are 1) that I must do it manually, (but doing it once a day shouldn't be too difficult), & 2) I have to keep turning off & on the iCloud syncing with my iPhone calendars. I hope this doesn't create duplicates, but I'll find out. I've attached a screenshot of my iTunes options when I plug in my iPhone & turn of iCloud Calendars.

Thanks again for all the help!!!! You're terrific!

Attachments

• iTunes.png
    iTunes.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 599
It will work and yes, it's mostly manual (but i think you can set it to sync over the air when both devices are on the new network).

When I tried it, it said my phone had been sync'd with an old account & asked me if I wanted to use that one or my current one.
I think it means it found you used to sync with a different profile and is asking if you want to use your current profile.

>> 2) I have to keep turning off & on the iCloud syncing with my iPhone calendars.
Why? (It probably will create duplicates)

Is the iCloud still configured in Outlook? If so, select it and switch to a list view. Select all, then use the Move to folder command to move the items back to Outlook. Use copy to folder if you to keep them on your phone - otherwise, they may be deleted from the phone when you move them from the iCloud.

This tutorial shows how to do it: Merging Two Calendar Folders - Slipstick Systems

Process is the same for contacts, but you don't need to use List view.

Outlook 2016 in Office 365 does not work well with iCloud. ex: I deleted a duplicate contact and iCloud deleted both of them. There is an entire set of duplicate contacts which appears and disappears. Right now it has disappeared. It deleted two entire sets of contacts in separate contact folders. I made a new group email distribution and it put it in the wrong address book.

I really don't need the connection to my iPhone, either with contacts or calendar, but if the contacts worked properly it would be helpful.

When I deleted icloud the last time, it deleted all of my contacts. A very long and very frustrating call to Apple got them back. I decided to give iCloud another chance after hearing from others it worked just fine. That was probably a mistake. I am very, very frustrated with iCloud and Outlook contacts. I have no use for iCloud except for contacts. SO I would like to remove iCloud from my Windows 10 PC. I am literally terrified it will once again erase all my contacts. I find talking to Apple is humiliating; they deny any responsibility, blaming it on Microsoft software people.

You tried to help me once before on another problem. Perhaps you will help again. I would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.