Status
Not open for further replies.

LairdLochaber

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi there,

I've just built a completely new PC and installed Office 2013. I now need to move my e-mails across.

The old PC is running XP and Outlook 2002.

I understand that 2002 is in the ANSI format while 2013 is Unicode.

I also understand that there was no formal convertor available from Microsoft.

So far, I have exported a PST file from Outlook 2002 and imported it into the default Unicode data file in Outlook 2013.

This caused Outlook to stop working and it couldn't be started again after that.

I then uninstalled Office and reinstalled it.

I then created a new Unicode data file and imported the PST file into that.

Outlook stopped working again, but could be recovered by switching the data files.

I then tried exporting each file as a CSV file. I can successfully import these into Outlook 2013 and open the e-mails.

However, the attachments don't get moved with the mail.

My questions are:

Is there any way at all of converting the PST file so that it will load into Outlook 2013?

If I have to go down the 'move each folder individually' route, is there any way of moving the attachments too?

I've already searched the web and Convert an ANSI PST to a Unicode PST - Slipstick Systems, I have found very little that relates to Outlook 2013 and nothing on attachments.

Thanks

Alan

You should be able open Outlook 2013 and go to file, open, import and not have it crash... can you open the old pst file (File, Open, Outlook data file) and copy the mail from the old pst to the new one without crashing?

Everything in the article applies to Outlook 2013, only the dialogs and paths may have changed.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I tried to open the old PST file as you suggested, but then Outlook crashed, saying the data file had not been configured.

In your reply, you stated that I 'should' be able to import to Outlook 2013 without it crashing. This made me suspect that it was something to do with the source file.

I went looking for information on how to configure a data file, in case I was misinterpreting the terminology, and stumbled across an article in which the user complained of errors within the PST file. The errors and behaviours were remarkably similar to my own so I tracked down SCANPST, exported the PST file, scanned and repaired it, and imported it successfully into Outlook 2013.

I now have all my e-mails, folders, attachments and contacts working as they should. The e-mail rules haven't been imported, but I should probably rewrite these anyway as they weren't 100% accurate.

Many thanks for your help, this has saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Alan

Cool. Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Transferring POP emails from Outlook 2002 to Outlook.com email in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
S Outlook 2002- "Send" button has disappeared. Help please. Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2002: HTML Emails Will Not Print: Please Help Using Outlook 0
D Syncing Outlook 2002 with iPad 128 KB Using Outlook 1
A moving outlook 2002 from xp to win 7 or 8 Using Outlook 2
D Outlook contacts no in address book - 2002 pst file convert to 2007 pst file? Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2002 - How to upgrade to 2003 and convert PST from ANSI to Unicode? Using Outlook 7
K Outlook 2002 Can Not Send Or Receive E-mails Using Outlook 3
P How can I view a german email in outlook 2002? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D I need to know everything about Outlook 2002/XP Forms ! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Outlook VBA to send from Non-default Account & Data Files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Limited Support for 3rd Party Mail in new Outlook? Using Outlook 1
O Any 3rd party tool that sync (mirror) from Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar? Using Outlook 5
T Outlook is categorizing emails incorrectly Using Outlook 1
R Legacy Outlook on Mac Email Cache Using Outlook 0
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 3
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2