Help Using Windows Desktop Search to Index Outlook PST of another User Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

makinmyway

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
How can I index an Outlook PST with Microsoft Windows Desktop Search 4.0 when it belongs to another User Logon? When I try to set it up in Desktop Search I find the path is present but is greyed out. And when I hold my cursor over it I see the following message: "Indexing of this email store has been disabled by the System Administrator." I am working with Outlook 2007 in a Windows XP Pro SP3 environment. I want to be able to search for emails, tasks, and contacts and when the PST was in my user logon files it was so much faster. Note: I need to keep the PST under the Administrator User Logon. Can permissions be changed?

Re: Help Using Windows Desktop Search to Index Outlook PST of another User Log

Is the pst file in your profile?

If the pst is in your profile and you get this error, try giving your user account full permission to the folder the pst is in.

Diane, thanks for your reply. I appreciate your assistance. I believe I have done that if I understand your question correctly. My User Logon (Profile?) Michael in Windows XP needs to index the PST file in the Documents and Settings/Local Settings/Applications/Microsoft/Outlook folder of the User Logon Adminstrator. Selecting that folder and than right clicking to get the Share Tab I had already selected Share this Folder and Set Permissions for Michael to Full Control, Change, and Read. That does not change the greyed out line in Windows Search or the message I read when I hover over that line. Am I understanding your question correctly when you say Profile?

Yes, that is what i wanted to know.

Right click on Outlook folder and choose Properties > Security tab. Does your account have any permissions set on that tab?

Right clicking on the Outlook folder while in the Administrator Profile (or in the Michael profile) and selecting Properties yields no Security tab, just the General, Sharing and Custom tabs. Under Sharing I have Permissions set to share with Michael and checked Full Control, Change, and Read. That does not help. I also have the Share This Folder dial checked. Those settings did not help. Perhaps something else?

XP pro should have security tab, home won't.

My admin profile can index the dianep pst files. I should probably log out and try it with the dianep profile indexing the admin...

properties-security.png

Diane, I checked and I am certain I have Windows XP Pro, not Home, so it's strange that the Security tab is missing. I searched on google.com and saw these two "solutions" below but neither was the problem. Each was as they should be by the time I worked through to the setting they suggested I change.

If the security tab isn't visible on any of your folder properties in XP, you may have "Use Simple File Sharing" selected in your Folder Options.
Open Explorer and go to Tools>Folder Options.
Click the "View" tab and scroll to the bottom of the listbox with the heading "Advanced Settings".
Clear the "Use Simple File Sharing" checkbox.

Type 'Control admintools'(without quotes) in the Run Prompt.

Then select Security Options in the WIndow that appears.

In that select Network Access:Sharing and Security Model for local accounts.

Right click that to select Property.

Select 'Classic Accounts - Select 'classic-local users authenticate as themselves'.

It's been so long since I had to do that in WinXP that I don't know what could be wrong. Sorry.

Diane,

Thanks anyway for responding even if you were not able to lead me to the answer directly. I will be researching the Security Tab and why it's not showing up in my Outlook Folder properties and will post if I am able to solve that link in the problem.

Did you try to index your Admin profile while logged in to the Dianep profile? Did that work or fail?

Michael

I didn't have a chance to test it yet - i have some deadlines to meet and will test it as soon as i get a chance.

Ah. I never considered that, probably because I upgraded the drivers to NTFS not long after installing XP and discovering i didn't have the permissions tab.

Is there a reason why you aren't using NTFS? If i recall correctly, i typed a command line to upgrade the drive.

I'll check the profile and see if i can index the pst next.

Diane, I think I had to make it a FAT32 drive when I began using Norton Partition Magic software to partition my drives. I believe if I am remembering correctly it required that the C: be 32FAT. I have found away around my need to be able to index PST files across User Logons: I purchased Lookeen as an Outlook Add-in and it is able to index the PST since it's in the same profile (Admin) as well as the documents in my Michael Profile. It's a good solution apart from the cost but I think I will like the tool and while the indexing is not complete it's very fast in returning results. Thanks again Diane for your help. You have been a good resource for my Outlook questions over the years. Michael

Yeah, lookeen is a good product.

I confirmed that the pst can be indexed in my setup with NTFS, not that it matters of you can't convert.

Is the pst file in your profile?

If the pst is in your profile and you get this error, try giving your user account full permission to the folder the pst is in.

I gave the user account full permission but Outlook 2013 will not search properly. I have an IMAP account and running Windows 7 pro. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.