Downloading Tens of Thousands of Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaabara

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I have read a few threads here and elsewhere about outlook downloading tens of thousands of mail. A lot of the answers given were to uncheck the "Leave on Server". I have been working with my POP3 account for 3 years and never needed to do this until now. I obviously dont want to as I lose the backup and the ability to use web access to the mail account.

Surely there is a better solution. Why did it suddenly start happening?

Thanks in advance

Did you make a new profile, remove the account & re-add it, make a new pst, run scanpst?

The last message count is stored in a Mailbox manager file and its associated with the account that created it. If you break the mailbox manager file, Outlook will download everything again.

Can you log into the account and easily move the mail to a different folder online? That is usually the best way to fix the problem - but many servers make it really hard to move mail so option two is to use a rule to move mail to a folder if received before a recent date. And make sure Outlook is not configured to delete from the server when deleted in Outlook!

if the mail is already downloaded, you can sort by last modified date and delete everything that has the same last mod date.

If your server lets you configure a do not download mail received before date like gmail does, that is also an option, but not may offer that capability.

Thanks Diane....

Unfortunately, I have done none of the things you mentioned (new profile etc...)

Outlook can no longer do anything as the data has exceeded the limits in the .pst file, and I cannot move or delete anything. If I deleted my account, and my another one, would it delete the data.

Let me know as I have had to go back to webmail.

Thanks

Did you make a new profile, remove the account & re-add it, make a new pst, run scanpst?

The last message count is stored in a Mailbox manager file and its associated with the account that created it. If you break the mailbox manager file, Outlook will download everything again.

Can you log into the account and easily move the mail to a different folder online? That is usually the best way to fix the problem - but many servers make it really hard to move mail so option two is to use a rule to move mail to a folder if received before a recent date. And make sure Outlook is not configured to delete from the server when deleted in Outlook!

if the mail is already downloaded, you can sort by last modified date and delete everything that has the same last mod date.

If your server lets you configure a do not download mail received before date like gmail does, that is also an option, but not may offer that capability.

You weren't using a Unicode pst? They start at 20 GB and go up.

You could make a new profile in control panel - search for mail. Let the new profile download the mail (it will make the new Unicode format).

Delete the old stuff from the pst (it will be a new pst, so you'll only have the newly downloaded stuff). Make sure that outlook's account settings are not deleting mail from the server - you can set this when you set up the account in Control panel.

Once you get Outlook working, we will work on getting the stuff out of the old pst.

Status
Not open for further replies.