Can't print from Outlook on wifi network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have a problem printing from Outlook 2010 on a Dell laptop (win7) over a Wi-Fi network. The HP J5750 printer is USB to a tower PC (Win7) and I can print just fine from the tower or laptop if it’s a Word or Excel doc and the tower prints from Outlook. However, Outlook won’t print from the laptop. The selected printer shows “ready” and the printer twitches a couple time like it’s winding up for the pitch, then nothing. There is nothing in the print queue.

I have removed the print devices on the tower and recreated them multiple times, same on laptop to no avail. I have not reinstalled the HP driver since everything works fine on the tower. I do have the correct Win7 64bit driver. The laptop, however is 32bit, but don’t think that matters. I recently upgraded laptop RAM to 4G but of course can only see 3G which is fine for now.

There is one quirky thing I should explain: I actually have two identical J5750’s (neighbor gave me a “broken” one that only needed new ink and works fine). See attached jpg for names of these printers. The one with “copy 1” in the name I actually named “under desk” when I created it, and the “under desk” version of name does show up when I select this printer on laptop (via Wi-Fi). However, as you see in jpg, the “under desk” name is not there. However, if I right click on icon and go to Printer Properties, I see TWO entries showing both versions of the name. Why are there two entries? If I delete all printers and recreate them enough times, soon or later, I will get the naming the way I want. However, in spite of this naming quirk, I can still select either printer from laptop (or tower) and print fine from any app OTHER THAN Outlook. Remember, Outlook does print ok on the tower.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.