Outlook 2007 message search results loses focus

ajmich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
:confused: Using Outlook 2007 fully patched/updated. When browsing message search results, with the Reading Pane on (at bottom), the program loses focus. This behavior is repeatable. The search has completed.

Upon selecting a message in the search results [highlighting the selected message], the Reading Pane initially shows the message contents.

Then the focus jumps to the topmost message and that message then shows in the Reading Pane... but the desired message is still highlighted.

Is this a bug or something that can be fixed? It's a minor annoyance given that I don't search all that often, but what's going on?

In this example, the highlighted message was selected and briefly shown in the Pane. Then focus jumped to the top message, and showed that message in the Pane... with the desired message still selected!

OLfocus.png

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I haven't been able to repro this but I'm sure it is a bug.

Do you use Outlook Today? Using it can cause focus problems in other areas an may cause problems with this. In the situations I'm aware of, focus is correct until you look at outlook today, then its messed up. To test if this is the problem, restart Outlook and do not use Outlook Today (if you start in OT, change the setting to start in Inbox) and see if you can repro the problem.

ajmich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
I do not use OL Today. The focus issue seems to be intermittent and I haven't seen this happen the last couple times I searched. MAYBE the indexing was not complete (don't recall seeing that message that appears at the bottom of the initial search results)... if that's all it was, now that indexing is done perhaps the issue is moot. If I'm feeling ambitious ;) I'll have it rebuild the index from scratch and test the search while it's indexing, just to put a period on this thing!

ajmich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Update: Guess it IS a bug -- happened again today, a bit different because the bottom-most item was already selected, but the focus (and view pane) were on the top-most item. Weird.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm not sure it will help, but try resetting the view on the folder and see if it helps.

Also, what addins are installed? It's possible something is interfering. In 2007, check for addin in Tools, Trust Center,

ajmich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Thx again, Diane -- I reset the view, not seeing the focus issue but will check it with a few more searches.

Active addins are:

avast (free antivirus)

simuSearch32 (search web via additional ribbon tab)

Sperry Software Helper OL Extension (trial for global seach/replace, seems buggy)

Windows search email indexer

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If it acts up again, disable non-Microsoft addins - i'd start with sperry (since you think its buggy). if it still acts up, either avast or simusearch. Neither should cause this problem so I'm not sure which it might be. If the problem is new, start with the newer of the two addins.

ajmich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Great tips, thanks again Diane. Sperry is to get back to me regarding their search/replace addon (seems it has no provision to operate on user-defined fields!) and likely I'll remove that. The focus thing is pretty minor in the grand scheme... I'm just glad Outlook works as well as it does! Keep up the fine work, you help so many here. Alex.