Outlook 2007 message search results loses focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmich

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
:confused: Using Outlook 2007 fully patched/updated. When browsing message search results, with the Reading Pane on (at bottom), the program loses focus. This behavior is repeatable. The search has completed.

Upon selecting a message in the search results [highlighting the selected message], the Reading Pane initially shows the message contents.

Then the focus jumps to the topmost message and that message then shows in the Reading Pane... but the desired message is still highlighted.

Is this a bug or something that can be fixed? It's a minor annoyance given that I don't search all that often, but what's going on?

In this example, the highlighted message was selected and briefly shown in the Pane. Then focus jumped to the top message, and showed that message in the Pane... with the desired message still selected!

OLfocus.png

I haven't been able to repro this but I'm sure it is a bug.

Do you use Outlook Today? Using it can cause focus problems in other areas an may cause problems with this. In the situations I'm aware of, focus is correct until you look at outlook today, then its messed up. To test if this is the problem, restart Outlook and do not use Outlook Today (if you start in OT, change the setting to start in Inbox) and see if you can repro the problem.

I do not use OL Today. The focus issue seems to be intermittent and I haven't seen this happen the last couple times I searched. MAYBE the indexing was not complete (don't recall seeing that message that appears at the bottom of the initial search results)... if that's all it was, now that indexing is done perhaps the issue is moot. If I'm feeling ambitious ;) I'll have it rebuild the index from scratch and test the search while it's indexing, just to put a period on this thing!

Update: Guess it IS a bug -- happened again today, a bit different because the bottom-most item was already selected, but the focus (and view pane) were on the top-most item. Weird.

I'm not sure it will help, but try resetting the view on the folder and see if it helps.

Also, what addins are installed? It's possible something is interfering. In 2007, check for addin in Tools, Trust Center,

Thx again, Diane -- I reset the view, not seeing the focus issue but will check it with a few more searches.

Active addins are:

avast (free antivirus)

simuSearch32 (search web via additional ribbon tab)

Sperry Software Helper OL Extension (trial for global seach/replace, seems buggy)

Windows search email indexer

If it acts up again, disable non-Microsoft addins - i'd start with sperry (since you think its buggy). if it still acts up, either avast or simusearch. Neither should cause this problem so I'm not sure which it might be. If the problem is new, start with the newer of the two addins.

Great tips, thanks again Diane. Sperry is to get back to me regarding their search/replace addon (seems it has no provision to operate on user-defined fields!) and likely I'll remove that. The focus thing is pretty minor in the grand scheme... I'm just glad Outlook works as well as it does! Keep up the fine work, you help so many here. Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Outlook 2007 e-mail header- How to set font & font size in received message headers ? Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2007 - Change Message Class for all Items in Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Outlook 2007 Error sharing Calendar: Error while preparing to send sharing message Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
Jon Bakrley Outlook 2013 and Exchange 2007, Out of the office error message Using Outlook 8
J Outlook 2007 Rules & VBA: How to run a script on a report message (ReportItem) Using Outlook 14
F Outlook 2007 - Reading Pane Automatically Downloads First/Topmost Message Using Outlook 4
R Lost Outlook 2007 message found in OWA Using Outlook 4
J Outlook 2007 Failure to Send Message<=Sending reported Error 0x80040201 Using Outlook 1
J [outlook-users] outlook 2007 Sp2: Error message to quit outlook Using Outlook 9
S default for new message (Outlook 2007) Using Outlook 0
L How can I delete stationery from Actions, New Mail Message Using in outlook 2007? Using Outlook 6
M Phone Message form in outlook 2007. How to start? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Changing the default message form in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Outlook 2007 - Message stuck in Outbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook 2007 error message using the TASK feature Using Outlook 6
D Outlook 2007 Recovering E-Mails Using Outlook 0
W Transfer Outlook 2016 autocomplete file to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2007 crash linked to gdiplus.dll Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2007 - Automatic purge fail Using Outlook 0
J outlook 2007 doesn't let me choose which .pst to search Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2007 on 365 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
S Macro for other actions - Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 23
S Verwendung von Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8
M Configure outlook 2007 to accept digital signatures Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
R New chap saying hello and needing advice on Outlook 2007 thumbnails Using Outlook 3
icacream From Outlook 2007 to 2016 ! Using Outlook 9
vodkasoda Object could not be found Error in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Outlook 2007: Address Cards allow entering text! Why? Using Outlook 3
S View Appointment in Text Wrap in Outlook 2007 Month Calendar View Using Outlook 0
L Outlook 2007 Separate the Send/Receive functions Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 Contacts Glitch: Creating a new email Using Outlook 1
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1
J reinstalling Outlook 2007 asking for user name & password Using Outlook 14
P outlook addin unloaded in office 2007 Using Outlook 0