Opening up Contact from an Email - Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMS

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
When I receive an email and I just click the email address of the person sending, it opens up the contact for the person in my system.

But sometimes it does not open up the contact even though I have the contact and sometime duplicates of the contact.

Is there away to drill down on this so when I click on the email address of the person sending me the email, it always opens up the contact?

Thanks much as usual!

Capture2.png

This is what shows up when I click on the email address ...remember...sometimes it opens the contact and other times this is what shows up

This is what shows up when it doesn't open the contactCapture2.png

That dialog means it's not matching a contact, its getting it from the autocomplete list.

How many contacts folders do you have? Is the contact for the email address in a contact's folder that is enabled as an email address book?

So where do I review if a contact folder is enabled as an email address book? And if not, how do I enable it? And does that solve it you think?

Right click on the contacts folders and choose Properties then look on the outlook address book tab.

thanks...i did it....and it did not fix the problem......i tested regarding a contact that did not open up clicking on the email, found it in the folder it was in, and set it up as the outlook address book.....and it did not solve the problem...i also restarted outlook after i did it, and it did not solve it as well...

any other thoughts please?

Is a contact by the same name but different email address in another contacts folder?

thank you...

it is the same name and email addresss.....and all folders are set up as an outlook address book....

anything else to try?

My only idea left is to check Tools, Instant Search, Search Options - are all data files being searched?

That area is already set at All Folders.......

Give it any other thoughts?

Nope, I can't think of anything else to do.

I recently figured out that when I click on the email address from the email and the email properties opens and not the contact, then I copy the email address from the email properties, go to the contact thru the folder and replace the email address in the contact with what I copied from the email properties, then when I click on the email address from the email, the contact opens. I am told that there is corruption inside the contact and by putting in the cleaned up email, it solves the problem.

So the question is whether there is a way to clean list of contacts or a folder of the contacts so then the email address in the contact is cleaned up and I don't have to do it manually to every contact?

Assuming the address is correct in each contact is good and you just need to save it again, you could use a macro to remove the address and replace it. (Also assumes you aren't using the User1 field for anything.)

Use the macro at Bulk Move Phone Numbers to a Different Phone Field - Slipstick Systems
With objContact
If .Email1Address <> "" Then
.User1 = .Email1Address
.Email1Address = ""
.Save
.Email1Address = .User1
.Save
End If
End With

you could clear the user1 field are moving the address back.

The extra save before swapping the address back may not be needed, but if there is corruption in the file, saving the contact after removing the address may be better than just removing and replacing the address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Witzker Place cursor at opening, a user defined OL contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Z how to make OL (2007) to use custom contact form when importing / opening .VCF? Using Outlook 1
Z outlook 2007 - opening a contact from the search results doesn't use the custom form Using Outlook 10
D opening Word Document in a business contact? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
B Contact changes from Personal to Shared when opening custom form Using Outlook 0
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
KurtLass Opening Graphics Attachments in Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 0
A OutLook For Mac 16.46 Comes Up In Small Window When Opening Using Outlook 4
U Disable "Always ask before opening" Dialog Using Outlook 3
Wayne Outlook locks up when opening "Manage Rules & Alerts" Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Opening Mail Attachment Using Outlook 2
A Warning When Opening attachment Using Outlook 7
D Prevent popup of "Do you want to save changes?" when closing after opening an appointment to view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Upon opening Outlook, make my popmail inbox open instead of outlook.com inbox Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Changing events in Outlook calendar via opening file, importing CSV Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2016- unable to have all subfolders expanded when opening outlook Using Outlook 11
GregS Immediate crash on opening Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Error Opening Outlook and Control Panel's Mail Applet Using Outlook 0
S my vbscript button1_click code works on appointment created but not on opening an existing apntmn Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
J Opening Attachments - in People Using Outlook 2
Mistyfied Outlook 2016 not opening Using Outlook 2
M Update field codes when opening Outlook Template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Outlook PST not opening Using Outlook 1
U .pst file error at opening outlook Using Outlook 1
A Problems Opening Excel from Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky Disable the Unsafe Hyperlink Warning when Opening Attachments Using Outlook 0
S macro for opening attachments and printing Using Outlook 1
T Opening email causes "Contacting ..." message Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2013 stuck "processing" when opening. Using Outlook 3
S Opening Outlook Windows Using Outlook 1
S PoP up reminder while opening the outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Opening/Archiving/Import/Export PST files Using Outlook 4
Y (Shared Folder) Using the preview pane to open and close a fax, without opening the email itself Using Outlook 1
E OL2007 on Exchange: opening OL on different computers Using Outlook 1
T Error opening mail with pictures - "The linked image cannot be displayed" Using Outlook 3
P I'm getting an error when opening Outlook "Mobile me stopped working Using Outlook 1
C How to stop iCloud calendars opening by default Using Outlook 8
U outlook 2010 freezes/crashes when opening encrypted e-mails Using Outlook 0
G OLMAPI32.dII error prevents Outlook 2010 from opening Using Outlook 2
D Custom Tool Bar and/or Commands do not remain when re-opening Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
G opening Outlook again after closing closing? Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2010: how to mark messages without opening? Eg for deletion Using Outlook 2
M I cannot start Microsoft Outlook 2013 directly opening a .eml message Using Outlook 1
M Opening Word Doc's in Adobe Acrobat Pro Using Outlook 9
0 Outlook 2010 causes computer to lose connection when opening and Send/Receive Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 14
G Opening messages takes too long Using Outlook 5
G Opening pst files in different versions of outlook Using Outlook 2