Status
Not open for further replies.

kschissler

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

I am researching an easy way to make a change to the current Outlook .PRF file that we have deployed to our Terminal Servers using an MSP created by the OCT. I used the "import PRF" option in the OCT, which looks like it packages the PRF within the MSP somehow, and then when the install is run, the PRF gets copied out to the \Program Files\Microsoft Office folder.

We have run into the issue with the PRF containing the wrong setting for creating Unicode PST files, and would like to change the PRF on each terminal server to correct the issue. We are not concerned about existing users, only those users who would be logging in for the first time and creating a new PST.

With this said, can I just edit the existing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\xxx.PRF file on all the Terminal servers to effect this change for new users?

Note: I would also change the .PRF and re-import to update our MSP file, so that any future Office installs would deploy the correct PRF.

I am hoping to avoid either re-deploying Office 2010 by re-running the MSP on every terminal server, or having to use the /importprf switch on every user.

Since this only involves first time users, am I OK to follow the described workflow?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ok, thanks Diane. Yes, I did see that in one of the other Slipstick forum posts. Thanks for your quick reply!

An update to this post, after finding something out during this exercise. In order to make this change easier to deploy, I decided to copy an edited PRF file out to a network share, and then deploy to my servers via a batch/copy script. Well, this doesn't work. :( Apparently, Outlook/Office has some sort of hook to the exact PRF file, and the only way to effect the change is by editing the existing PRF file.

Another interesting item - in troubleshooting the issue, I ended up renaming the .PRF out on \Program Files\Microsoft Office, thinking that the .PST would not get created correctly, due to the missing PRF file. Well, it still got created. Not sure how to explain this one.

Bottom line: If you need to make a change to a .PRF file that was created with the OCT, applied to an MSP, and then deployed to a server via the MSP, you need to edit the .PRF file - it cannot be copied over with a different .PRF file.

Thanks for the info.

Re: the pst file creation - Outlook defaults to Unicode when it creates a new pst. If the PRF isn't setting up the profile with the wrong format, Outlook will use the new format.

Re: the PST file creation - Outlook was still creating an ANSI .PST file, with the specific POP3 settings, etc. that we have configured in the PRF, even though the PRF file was renamed on the server. This whole issue was tested by deleting the roaming profile folder for the test user I was using, and also deleting the .PST file. After logging in with the "clean" user and launching Outlook, I saw the "applying settings" pop-up window (or whatever it says). No PRF was available for Outlook to use, as far as I knew, because I renamed it. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Outlook 365 O365 outlook calendar item editing Using Outlook 1
S Leaving ActiveExplorer open for editing after Sub is done Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Separate Read Layout Editing Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Editing Tasks in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 6
N editing drafts - won't let me save Using Outlook 12
evdbogaard How to dock the Styles Task Pane in the e-mail editing window? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Forward Message after editing attachments and include edited attachments Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Editing the Subject Line in Outlook Using Outlook 0
Q Editing an outlook. Template file (Otk) Using Outlook 1
mrje1 Note Field (Any way to do incell editing) Using Outlook 7
D Conflict warning while editing Exchange Server Administration 0
S Editing an email with notes and saving it for record using Macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Philip Rose Recreating a WORD Editing Macro to use in Outlook VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Brendan.Z Outlook 2013 signature editing issue Using Outlook 3
Commodore Editing contacts and adding photos Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Pasting VBA code (and other editing) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
V Outlook 2003 editing problem Using Outlook 4
M Editing tasks: highlight & copy/cut NOT working in Calendar entries Using Outlook 4
L Editing auto reply email from a shared mailbox? Exchange Server Administration 7
A outlook printing assistant Help editing template Using Outlook 3
kburrows Outlook 2013 - Inline Editing of Contacts Using Outlook 4
B Editing Calendar Categories Using Outlook 3
C Outlook editing won't select just one word Using Outlook 1
T WAB editing: To help prevent malicious code from running.......... Using Outlook 18
G Editing the Read Receipt Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Editing Forms Using Outlook 3
J Joint Calendar Sharing - Editing Using Outlook 1
F add new panel to email editing window Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Editing Mailing List BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
Davzell Change default pop3 account with script, prf or registery ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Need help configuring a PRF for Outlook 2010 and 2013 Using Outlook 0
T Outlook Prf/Automation question Using Outlook 2
H PRF with OverwriteProfile=Append Is overwriting other settings Using Outlook 2
R Ingest contact PST from exchange 2007 thru client's Outlook via PRF Exchange Server Administration 2
N Outlook 2007 - Set account to send only with .prf file Using Outlook 1
C Advanced search terms for "Outlook Data File" Using Outlook 1
G Save emails as msg file from Outlook Web AddIn (Office JS) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Outlook 365 File access denied attempting to import .pst Using Outlook 6
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
R Saving Emails and Attachments as .msg file Using Outlook 3
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Wotme create email only data file Using Outlook 1
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
W Transfer Outlook 2016 autocomplete file to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
DoctorJellybean Use OST file location for fresh installation? Using Outlook 1