Editing auto reply email from a shared mailbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneyH

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

I joined this forum to possibly find an answer on how to edit an auto reply email from a shared mailbox on Exchange Server. The auto reply email was set up before I started here so I do not know where to really begin.

I've read a few things saying to add a profile to outlook to then access the rules for the shared mailbox. I did add this extra profile but I do not see any rules set up to edit. I've also read about going to OWA and log into the shared mailbox this way, but I don't have the password to do this and I'm not even sure you CAN log into a shared mailbox, the person who set this up is long gone as well.

Also-The auto response is not triggered from EVERY email, only certain emails I assume from the subject line.

Am I even on the right track?

What can I do? I can provide further information.

Thanks!

LaneyH

If it's a shared mailbox without a password, you can't log into it as an account - which is what you need to do to set up rules or autoreplies. You can't do it by opening it as a shared account.

Autoresponses are typically returned once per email address per session. Is that how it seems to be working?

Hi Diane, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by per session but we have a tool that runs on a user's system that gathers system details for troubleshooting. After the tool finishes gathering, the user then sends the results through email to the shared mailbox. The shared mailbox then sends the auto response email back to this user. Its this auto response I need to edit. The auto response email is ONLY triggered by these incoming troubleshooting results as other general collaboration emails do not trigger these auto responses.

Thanks! Your help is very much appreciated :)

Laneyh

If it's a shared mailbox without a password, you can't log into it as an account - which is what you need to do to set up rules or autoreplies. You can't do it by opening it as a shared account.

Autoresponses are typically returned once per email address per session. Is that how it seems to be working?

Per session: when you use autoreply or out of office, a reply is sent once to each address that sends email, until outlook restarts or out of office is reset.

Are you the Exchange admin (or can bribe the admin :)) - reset the password on the shared mailbox then try logging in using OWA so you can check the rules. You may need to use Outlook to change the form, but should be able to see how it was done from OWA. If it's a shared mailbox without a license, OWA should tell you that the account doesn't have a license.

Hi Diana, thanks for the reply. I could probably get ahold of the admin and have them change the password, if all else fails I will try this. I always understood that faceless accounts don't have passwords, but perhaps they do. Hmm. Anyhow, the way you explain below with OWA...would this be the same as creating a profile in outlook then logging in with that profile, this way I can access the rules for the faceless acount? Or would logging in to OWA with the password give me more priveledges than the profile way? I hope that wasn't too confusing.

I only ask because I did manage to create a profile linked to the faceless account, and logged in, however, I did not see the rule for the autoreply listed there. Is there somewhere else that this type of response could be set?

Sorry about all the questions, I just don't know. Lol

Thanks!

Per session: when you use autoreply or out of office, a reply is sent once to each address that sends email, until outlook restarts or out of office is reset.

Are you the Exchange admin (or can bribe the admin :)) - reset the password on the shared mailbox then try logging in using OWA so you can check the rules. You may need to use Outlook to change the form, but should be able to see how it was done from OWA. If it's a shared mailbox without a license, OWA should tell you that the account doesn't have a license.

Outlook will give you more features but OWA should have the rule. The advantage of OWA is that you can quickly try it.

Accountless mailboxes don't have passwords but the password can be reset, so you can try to log in. AFAIK, in on premise exchange servers, you can log into shared mailboxes. hosted exchange is a little tighter with licenses and you'll be told the mailbox does not have a license.

With that out of the way... I'm not surprised you didn't find a rule. I wasn't convinced it was rule, since it was a shared mailbox and rules are hard to set up. Does an application process the mail in the shared box?

The application gathers system details and triggers an email to be sent, the user clicks the button "send email", outlook then pops up an email with all the fields already entered, the user clicks send and it goes to the shared mailbox. After it hits the shared box no tools process it, I process it manually into excel at that point.

Is it possible that this application is the one responsible for the auto responses etc? I'm thinking so since the auto response is only sent when it comes from this application.

Outlook will give you more features but OWA should have the rule. The advantage of OWA is that you can quickly try it.

Accountless mailboxes don't have passwords but the password can be reset, so you can try to log in. AFAIK, in on premise exchange servers, you can log into shared mailboxes. hosted exchange is a little tighter with licenses and you'll be told the mailbox does not have a license.

With that out of the way... I'm not surprised you didn't find a rule. I wasn't convinced it was rule, since it was a shared mailbox and rules are hard to set up. Does an application process the mail in the shared box?

It sounds like it is doing it, not the shared mailbox. It's possible for rules to only reply to messages meeting certain conditions, so rules could do it, but being a shared mailbox and you not seeing rules makes me think its not a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.