Unable to transfer rules from one Outlook computer to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have 1 computer (my primary desktop) running Outlook 2010 with the default PST file associated with a POP3 acct and another IMAP mailbox. I have migrated a copy of all my POP3 emails to my IMAP account (in pieces, so Outlook won't hang during such a large transfer to an IMAP server). I have modified my rules so the destination folder ('specified folder' when creating/modifying rules) is inside the IMAP folder tree. I routinely copy the default Outlook.pst file from my primary desktop to my laptop.

When I open Outlook on the laptop (the laptop has the same POP3 and IMAP acct info as the desktop), all the mailboxes are OK, but the rules are missing. If I try to export the rules from my primary desktop via Rules/Options/Export and import them to the laptop, the rules now appear, but if I click ok or apply, then an popup message box appears "One or more rules contain errors, delete or modify these rules" and the destination folder has been wiped out in the rule definition.

I would avoid the routine copy - if you constantly update the calendar and contacts, get a sync utility such as from code two - links to it and others are here: Synchronizing Outlook on Two Machines - Slipstick Systems - Several of the apps are free for two computers and a limited number of folders.

Rules are stored in the local pst and are linked to the account that created them - moving the pst messages that up. The rules have errors after import because you need to repoint them to the folders - rules store the full pst path as well as the file and folder name.

I assume the full version of the CodeTwo software (I looked into that) would properly sync all aspects of the PST file (emails, rules, etc.)? Never mind. I just checked with CodeTwo and their software Outlook Sync (even the full version) only syncs folder info, not rules. So no solution for migrating the rules?

So even if the account info on both computers is identical and path to the default PST file is the same on both computers (c:\users\<user name>\documents\outlook files\outlook.pst), the rules will still be corrupted?

Nothing will sync rules, sorry. you need to export / import or just recreate on machine #2.

Yes, even if you use the same username, the rules will be problematic as it also uses the machine GUID as an identifier. They do not make it easy...

As I had stated originally, I had already tried export/import of rules, but that didn't work and I suspect it's due to multiple accounts setup in my profile in Outlook and 1 of them being POP3 and the others IMAP. It seems like a horrible defect in Outlook that a user can't simply transfer rules from one Outlook installation to another.

I had read somewhere that creating a new Outlook profile may be a solution (but I doubt that Outlook profiles can be 'transferred' from one computer to another). Is this something that has a chance or is this a waste of time?

Profiles do not transfer well - there are keys that point to the current machine and it tends to corrupt the profile if you try moving it. If both systems uses the same windows user name, there is a better chance it will work though.

The profile is in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem if you want to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Unable to change AppointmentItem.Start property Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D VBA - unable to set rule condition 'on this computer only' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Unable to Use Alias as From Address Using Outlook 2
R unable to filter tasks when start date is on or before today Using Outlook 3
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 0
D Unable to view older emails in desktop app Using Outlook 0
M Issues with templates - unable to find in old web app Using Outlook 3
Commodore Unable to move message Using Outlook 3
S Unable to change Message Class Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Unable to make changes to an existing Calendar entry Using Outlook 11
C Outlook 2016 Unable to delete Gmail IMAP calendar Using Outlook 2
S Unable to extract text from an Outlook email message Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Unable to share 2019 calendar Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 - suddenly unable to send using Gmail POP3 Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
Q Unable to Sync Quicken reminder with Outlook 2016 64Bit Using Outlook 1
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
L Wierd Office 365 Contact unable to edit body of random contacts Using Outlook 5
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
S Unable to Edit Contact Information in Certain Contact Folders Using Outlook 3
P Deleted Items - Unable to Iterate All of Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Unable to dismiss reminders from share point list calendar shared in Outlook Using Outlook 2
R Unable to install without email account Using Outlook 4
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
A Outlook 2016- unable to have all subfolders expanded when opening outlook Using Outlook 11
avant-guvnor Unable to view certain emails in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 16
M Unable to Configure Gmail Account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Unable to Send On Behalf of Another User Exchange Server Administration 0
J Unable to link email messages in BCM using a single microsoft office 365 account in outlook 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
Tim King Outlook 365 unable to change accounts Using Outlook 0
R Unable to send mail using Cox.net Using Outlook 1
T Unable to 'Upload a file' using popup 'Browse' button Using Outlook 0
D Unable to add email address to contact Using Outlook 3
G Outlook calendar entry corrupted. Constant pop up when you open outlook. Unable to delete or remove. Using Outlook 2
O OL2000: Unable to create IMAP account Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Unable to reply/post/create new thread using Chrome BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
Rupert Dragwater unable to change font sizes in some replies Using Outlook 3
C Unable to see meeting attendees Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
M Unable to email from Word or Excel Using Outlook 11
O Unable to check name. Using Outlook 3
T Unable to create contacts subfolder in EAS profile Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
UncleBill Unable to delete items from gmail IMAP Trash using Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Unable to search delegated mailfile Using Outlook 3
K Unable to activate QueryBuilder in Outlook 2010 (32bit) with Windows 7 (64bit) Using Outlook 1
C Unable to forward email with URL Using Outlook 2