Default Saving a message as text

Status
Not open for further replies.

watersboy

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have searched far and wide and am not finding a solution or how to. I hope some one can help. I save multiple messages everyday as text files. I just upgraded from 2007 outlook to 2010. Before the upgrade I had it defaulted to save as text. I did not do this that I recall it just has been that way. Now that I have upgraded it is defaulted to msg. Please tell me if there is a way to do this as it will save me an immense amount of excess clicking. Thank you.

Is should have defaulted to msg unless you selected 2 or more messages.

A 1 step method to change it: tab to save as type, press t.

Or use a macro. I tweaked this macro to make this:

Code:
Sub SaveMailAsTxtFile()
Const OLTXT = 0
Dim oMail As Outlook.mailItem
Dim sPath As String
 Dim dtDate As Date
 Dim sName As String
 Set oMail = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)
 sName = oMail.Subject
 ReplaceCharsForFileName sName, "_"
 dtDate = oMail.ReceivedTime
 sName = Format(dtDate, "yyyymmdd", vbUseSystemDayOfWeek, _
   vbUseSystem) & Format(dtDate, "-hhnnss", _
   vbUseSystemDayOfWeek, vbUseSystem) & "-" & sName & ".txt"
 oMail.SaveAs "C:\path\to\save\" & sName, OLTXT 

End Sub 

Private Sub ReplaceCharsForFileName(sName As String, _
 sChr As String _ 

)
 sName = Replace(sName, "/", sChr)
 sName = Replace(sName, "\", sChr)
 sName = Replace(sName, ":", sChr)
 sName = Replace(sName, "?", sChr)
 sName = Replace(sName, Chr(34), sChr)
 sName = Replace(sName, "<", sChr)
 sName = Replace(sName, ">", sChr)
 sName = Replace(sName, "|", sChr) 

End Sub

BTW, it used to be if the message was in plain text format, save as would default to .txt format. That could possibly be why it worked for you before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Set calendar default to 'none' (policy) Exchange Server Administration 3
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 New Appointments All saved to a 365 default calendar on Mac Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook 2019 Custom Email form - Edit default email form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
W Outlook 365 I am getting the "Either there is no default mail client" error when I try to send an email on excel Office 365 Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2016 Change Paste Special Default Format Using Outlook 8
Geldner Tweak Junk Email Reporting tool to default to particular email on send? Using Outlook 3
P default font when sending email from browser Using Outlook 1
nmanikrishnan Auto-reply from default account Using Outlook 1
E Default shape via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A force outlook to default to MY calendar Using Outlook 3
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How to set default email address for website links Using Outlook 3
V Accepted meetings do not get the default reminder Using Outlook 0
Fozzie Bear Accepted Zoom Invites deleting without going into Default Calendar - Office 2016 Mac Using Outlook 3
W September 2020 - No Default Email Client message after Office Update Using Outlook 1
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
F Default font for notes in contacts Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
O How come default profile changed? Using Outlook 2
N How to set automatically the default or user defined Quickstyle Templates by Answer in Outlook Using Outlook 1
W Message class changes of a custom form changes to the default form Using Outlook 2
T Outlook changes default account Using Outlook 1
P how to remove unwanted PST file default categories assigned to many calendar entries Using Outlook 7
P Reading Pane (Reading Pain?) Default Setting Using Outlook 1
A Add to Outlook Contacts from email - default view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Making iCloud the default calendar for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2016: Changing default font for Notes and Reading Pane Using Outlook 4
V Change default default save location to Quick Access Using Outlook 1
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
C Change default "Save Sent Item To" folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
V VBA when replying + Default Account Using Outlook 2
P Outlook.com account overrules default account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
P Outlook 2016 Not Default Client Using Outlook 5
D Add all meeting rooms to the meeting request by default Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Mark White VBScript Move sent mail to non-default folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Mark White VBScript Move sent mail to non-default folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N How to delete default folder "Contacts" (olFolderContacts) in a .pst file Using Outlook 8
D Default Send Account that Works? Using Outlook 0
T Changing default Mail Account in Outlook 2016 - POP3 Using Outlook 1
J Setting default address book Using Outlook 0
V importing appointments to non-default calendar? Using Outlook 1
H Change Default Email Account Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Change default colors for conditional formatting Using Outlook 2
S Default Font in body of Task Using Outlook 0