Status
Not open for further replies.

vze2mp9g

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello,
I've had no problems setting up hotmail and gmail with Outlook 2013, I attempted to set up AOL using the exact instructions on their site and it didn't work, now I went to another site Configure Hotmail, Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo or AOL | HowTo-Outlook and I followed their settings and I was able to download my three e-mails, but I was unable to send anything. Then I tried sending a Test message through the Account Settings, and I got errors every time it went to send a test message. Outlook 2013 has no problem logging on, but it fails every time to send a test message. For my account, I have myname@aol.com and I put my password in, and these are the settings I've tried that didn't work:

Server Information

Accouint Type: POP3

Incoming Server: imap.aol.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com

Remember password

(Checked and unchecked) Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
Incomming Server (POP3) 995

(checked and unchecked) This server requiresw an encrypted connection (SSL)

Outgoing server (SMTP): 587

Use the following type of encrypted connections: Auto

Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 521 5.2.1 521 AOL will not accept delivery of this m
Incomming Server (POP3) 995

This server requiresw an encrypted connection (SSL)

Use the following type of encrypted connections: SSL/TLS/None

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Send test e-mail message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

Send test e-mail message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

I also have My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication: ENABLED
Use same settings as my incoming mail server: ENABLED

Incoming server (POP3): 110

Use the following type of encrypted connection: NONE

Use the following type of encrypted connection: NONE

Can anyone help me with this major problem? I was able to get everything else working, so I'm not a "basket case" when it comes to computers! :)

I would really appreciate it very much.

Thank You.

David

Hurray! You saved the Day, Again! ! ! :D :D :D

How did you know about that? BTW, my IP is Verizon On Line. I don't think that they Hijack AOL, why would they? If anything, why not Google Mail, or Hotmail? It seems as though you know almost everything about Outlook, possibly more than the Tech guys at the M$ Forums.

Thank You Again!!! :cool:

If I were a bettin' man, I would have bet you used Comcast. :( Comcast recently changed smtp settings and users are experiencing problems like this.

It's not the AOL traffic they hijack, but the traffic on a specific port.

If I were a bettin' man, I would have bet you used Comcast. :( Comcast recently changed smtp settings and users are experiencing problems like this.

It's not the AOL traffic they hijack, but the traffic on a specific port.
Diane seemed pretty good hope she sees this - I setup outlook 2013 on aol and I get it but can't send. Setup like they say for smtp and just same login as incoming like their doc says. It never works

Any error messages? What port are you using?

As an FYI, I just tested it with an AOL account and it works here. The default settings for AOL (using auto account setup) is port 587 / TLS.

Diane, is it permitted for me to come in late on this thread. I'm presently trying to set up an aol email account in Outlook 2013 but still cannot send out a test message. I've tried the settings given here but presently get this error ...
"the server responded: 553.5.7.1
Any further instructions?

We won't slap you with a wet noodle. :)

Does it include any text with that error code? 5.7.1 can mean an authentication error - in File, Account Settings, double click on the AOL account then click More Settings (or, if you are in the add account screen, start at More Settings :)) - look on the Outgoing server tab - click the box to use the same as the incoming server.

Good! A wet noodle up the side of the head could be serious. The "use same settings as my incoming mail server" is checked off. Still a no go here. (not working). Still getting the same error message. Am presently trying port 587 and it's a no go. Please advise.

Ok, thank you Diane for telling me to put my default server in the smtp address. I tried that before but trying different things (probably putting my default port back in) has got everything up to snuff.

I'm going to try adding a gmail account (did that the other day without any success) so please hang around for I'll no doubt be crying on your shoulder for more help. :)

Hi Diane,

I am also having issues with sending email and getting an error. "Send test e-mail message: The server responded: 553.5.7.1" I've tried everything you have had others try and it still isn't working for me. Right now I have 'use same settings as my incoming mail server' selected. I have tried the default port 587/TSL along with changing the port to 465/SSL. Still can't send email. My internet provider is Brighthouse.

To add to my post above, when I do attempt to send an email I will get an undeliverable message..."553.5.7.1 <aol email address>: Sender address rejected: not owned by user (email addy minus the @ao.com)

Are you using the AOL server's or Brighthouse server's? Assuming the aol username is correct, it's an odd error message - but if brighthouse is the smtp (or is hijacking smtp traffic), it makes sense.

In Account Settings, Aol account, more settings, is your full address in the username field?

In More Settings: On the Outgoing server tab configure the outgoing server to use Authentication, choosing the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option. If this is set already and you have only the username in the username field, type using the full email address in the username field or changing the auth to log on using and enter the full address and password.

Hey All,
Just had the same issue where a client set up his outlook 2013 with his AOL accounts. On the automatic set up it only configures his aol address without the @aol.com. I added the @aol.com to all of his accounts and back in business. By the way, I used port 465 and SSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.