Unable to open msg files in Outlook 2010

thinstaafl

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello, I'm running Outlook 2010 pro 32 bit and I'm having problems opening .msg files. I saved an email message from the inbox using Outlook Message Format - unicode (I have also tried to save it with non Unicode format). When I try to open the file while Outlook is open, I get the following error: The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. But if I close Outlook and then double click on the .msg file, I get the following error: "Cannot open Outlook." I am not running any add-ons and there are no google products installed. I have tried reinstalling Office several times and have checked the permissions to make sure THAT wasn't the problem. I am not sure what to do here. Please Help!!!!

thinstaafl

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I've tried to open it from the desktop and from the network drives...doesn't seem to matter. What's truly strange is I can rename that file to .eml and it will open in outlook just fine. Once I rename it back to .msg (and open it with outlook) I get that same error.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Are you use it's a msg file? Open it using notepad - can you read it?

thinstaafl

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I saved it from Outlook as a .msg file. This isn't limited to just one file - I've created several test files.

jordancrook

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952295

here you can find the answer, it is a knowledge base from microsoft

thinstaafl

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
That particular hotfix was applied but that did not fix the issue. Thanks for the help, but I found the answer. On these particular machines, I have to run Outlook in compatibility with Vista or XP SP3. Once I did that, I was able to open the msg files at will.

mwy1205

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
The set of Folders cannot be opened

My hosting service changed over to a new system and now my Outlook 2010 cannot access that folder: Error Messsage is: The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C.\users\name of user\documents\outlook files\user name\.........

can you assist

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Re: The set of Folders cannot be opened

That should not affect it. Try adding the account for the new system to your profile - or make a new profile. Once you get outlook open, you can try adding the old pst back in the profile. If the pst continue to error, run scanpst on the old data file.

PcTechPetru

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Re: Unable to open msg files in Outlook 2010 [SOLVED by PcTechPetru]

Hello, I'm running Outlook 2010 pro 32 bit and I'm having problems opening .msg files. I saved an email message from the inbox using Outlook Message Format - unicode (I have also tried to save it with non Unicode format). When I try to open the file while Outlook is open, I get the following error: The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. But if I close Outlook and then double click on the .msg file, I get the following error: "Cannot open Outlook." I am not running any add-ons and there are no google products installed. I have tried reinstalling Office several times and have checked the permissions to make sure THAT wasn't the problem. I am not sure what to do here. Please Help!!!!

Solution 1. change the filetype from *.msg to *.eml Double click and you'll see the content now.
:)

Solution 2. Send or forward this *.msg to a Gmail e-mail account. Inside Gmail's inbox you'll find the message attachment changed its type .eml Double click and you'll see the content now.
:D

PS

Diane, people expect answers from you, not questions..:confused: