Difference between export and archive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Murphy

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Can someone explain the difference between the Export and Archive functions in Outlook 2007?

I would like to save selected folders of emails to a file that is external to the primary PST file. I may want to be able to reload them at some point in the future back into Outlook so that I can read them, reply to them, or whatever.

I started the Export function and I see that I have the option of selecting a PST file as the output. Is that the way to go? I Export with the PST output option the same as Archive -- or at least does it create the same type of output file?

I was afraid to try the Archive function until I know whether it will delete the emails and whether I can get them back, if I want to.

Thanks

Export creates a copy in a different data file, archive moves the item to a different data file. Yes, Archive basically deletes the items from your current data file, but the default setting is to move them to another data file, not permanently delete.

You'd use Export to create a backup (especially for Outlook connector accounts) or to create a copy to use on another computer. Use Archive when you want to remove older items from your active data file.

If you are going to use the items in Outlook (either as a backup or to move to another computer), export to a pst file. If you are going to use the data in another application, use csv.

Thanks. Are there any differences in the external file that is created when using Archive vs Export with the PST option?

Can both be used to "add" to an external file? That is, if I archive or export an email folder to xyz.pst, can I later repeat the operation with new emails and have them added to xyz.pst?

Both use a standard pst file. There is no difference between the archive pst and one created for use with an account.
In Outlook 2003 and up, make sure its a Unicode pst so the file size can grow over 2 GB. (It should default to Unicode, unless you upgraded from an older version of Outlook.)

You can open the pst in Outlook and add more content to it later, or even use it as your default data file.

Both use a standard pst file. There is no difference between the archive pst and one created for use with an account.

I don't understand what you mean by "for use with an account".

In Outlook 2003 and up, make sure it's a Unicode pst so the file size can grow over 2 GB. (It should default to Unicode, unless you upgraded from an older version of Outlook.)

How can I tell if a PST file is Unicode?

How can I make sure that a new PST file is being saved as Unicode?

You can open the pst in Outlook and add more content to it later, or even use it as your default data file.

Can I add to it by just making it the target of another Export or Archive operation? That is, if I export the 2010 emails to xyz.pst, can I later export the 2011 emails to the same pst file and have them added to it?

When you go to Tools, Account Settings and add an account, you can select a data file to use with it. That is what I meant by 'for use with an account'.

Identify ANSI or Unicode: See /determine-pst-ansi-unicode-format/ - In Outlook 2007, you can check the file format either from Tools, Account Settings, Data File tab or from the File, Data File Management menu. Double click on the pst file you want to check.

Default format for new pst files is Unicode. You'd need ot select ANSI to use ANSI.

Yes, you can export to any pst by making it the target of the export.

OK. I think my PST files are all in the old format.

I went to the Data Files tab in Account Settings and double clicked on the PST file (I only have one that is active). These are the settings:

Name: Personal Folders

Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

Format: Personal Folders File (97-2002)

I've attached a screen shot.

So, is it in the old format?

Can I change it to the new format?

If so, how?

Attachments

• Outlook 20130801 PST file settings.jpg
    Outlook 20130801 PST file settings.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 683
I think I might be getting the hang of this. I selected a small folder with 146 emails that I don't care if I lose. :)

Using the procedures outlined in the attached PDF file, I first exported the emails older than 12/31/10, then did the same using Archive. The two output files are exactly the same size (2,249 KB), but a bit-by-bit compare shows they are not identical at the bit level.

(Note: I uploaded the file three times because I kept finding errors. I can't figure out how to delete attachments.

First off, are these procedures OK? Please suggest any improvements.

The Archive procedure seems more straightforward. The only problem with it was that it left the archive file active in Outlook. I had to manually remove it. Is there a way to tell it not to do that?

The Export procedure is more complicated, especially in selecting the cutoff date. I had several questions about it, but if the Archive procedure works, I won't need it.

Next I'll test archiving additional items to an existing archive file.

If my primary PST file is in the old (97-2002) format, will all of the archive files also be in that format?

I'd like to get that main PST file converted to the new format, if possible.

Attachments

• Archive & Export Procedures.pdf
    71.9 KB · Views: 598
    72.1 KB · Views: 592
    71.6 KB · Views: 622
Yes, if it says Outlook 97 - 2002, they are the old ansi format. See convert ansi to Unicode for your options.

I want to convert everything. I am not sure if my PST file was converted from an earlier version, but I think it was. Based on this, it sounds like option 3 is my best choice. Do you agree? Is there anything you would want to know before answering?

I just have one question at the moment. Should I disable the email processing to make sure that no new emails arrive after I create the new PST file but before I turn it on?

Do I do that by setting the Work Offline setting?

I want to convert everything. I am not sure if my PST file was converted from an earlier version, but I think it was. Based on this, it sounds like option 3 is my best choice. Do you agree? Is there anything you would want to know before answering?

I just have one question at the moment. Should I disable the email processing to make sure that no new emails arrive after I create the new PST file but before I turn it on?

Do I do that by setting the Work Offline setting?

Can someone answer the questions above:

1. Is Option 3 the best choice for my situation?

2. Should I disable Outlook from downloading email while completing the conversion? If so, what's the best way to do that?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.