Outlook Data File (PST) - Auto Backup Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
What would be the best automated solution to capture a daily backup of my Outlook data? Not just for major-failure-restores, but also in case of minor corruptions or unintended manipulations.

Seem like Outlook would have to be shut-down (so PST files are "closed"). Not sure if iCloud keeps files open when Outlook is not running, but if it does, solution needs to be compatible with iCloud.

Since normal file backup routines can't backup open files, I was thinking the process needs to be Outlook aware or run from Outlook. What do you all use?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Outlook would need to be closed to copy the data file. The iCloud data file doesn't need to be copied - it's all stored in the cloud. While oyu could argue that it could be lost there too, it's less likely that apple will lose it due to server failure and not have a backup. It's really hard to backup and restore the iCloud data file on the local computer too.

for the pst, you just need to make a copy of the pst file. You can use backup software or something as simple as a batch file. Microsoft has a backup addin that runs when you lcose Outlook, I have a batch file here = http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/backup-outlook-data-files-using-batch-bat/

Vince

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Outlook would need to be closed to copy the data file. The iCloud data file doesn't need to be copied - it's all stored in the cloud. While oyu could argue that it could be lost there too, it's less likely that apple will lose it due to server failure and not have a backup. It's really hard to backup and restore the iCloud data file on the local computer too.

for the pst, you just need to make a copy of the pst file. You can use backup software or something as simple as a batch file. Microsoft has a backup addin that runs when you lcose Outlook, I have a batch file here = http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/backup-outlook-data-files-using-batch-bat/
I understand your point, but since my Outlook install is a local single-user install, I should have a local backup of the data files. Mail stores are not a problem since they are local. My Contacts and Tasks (some used as Notes) are very important to me.

Maybe that's another advantage of CodeTwo iCloud Sync ... to be able to copy iCloud stored data to local folders before conventional local Outlook file backup?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
With a POP3 account, everything is in one pst - well, except for what is in iCloud. You only need to back up that data file to have everything. Yes, with codetwo's software you'll have copies of the calendar and contacts in the local pst.

Status
Not open for further replies.