Outlook 2010 network printing problems

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I suddenly have erratic printing over the network on Win7. 2 identical HP J5750s are connected USB to a desktop PC. The laptop will print via Office, albiet slowley; that is it takes 1-2 min to find the printer then it prints fine. The desktop prints fine to either printer from Outlook or Office.

However, from Outlook 2010 on the laptop it gives me the "connecting to printer" msg, the printer twitches once then silence. Once in 5-6 tries it will print to one printer but not the other, then not from the one that just worked. Have deleted and recreated the print devices multiple times on both machines with multiple reboots. Also, when I create the print devices on the wireless laptop I can not get a sample page printed, but all other indications are the setup went ok.

I do have the AirPrint IOS Win7 patch installed on Win7 so the iPad will print on these 7 yr old non-airprint HP printers and that continues to work fine with no glitches.

I recently removed Avira and installed Bitdefender when this started, but just did a full Bitdefender removal with no improvement. This rev of DB has no firewall. At one point, disabling all features within BD setup made it work, then it didn't work. I think that was a fluke.

Any suggestions?

Vince

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
I don't think it's an Outlook problem. You will likely get further in HP Forums.

Peer-To-Peer printing is always hard to get working. Didn't know people actually try to do it any more. Be sure both printers have different names if using Windows networking. Double check drivers. Turn off ALL firewalls. Try the HP Universal Driver since you are just printing. Uninstall the AirPrint thing. Might also just be a flakey printer (they look kinda old). Too bad you can't assign a static IP address.

A HP JetDirect Print Server is the best solution. Then you can assign a static IP. This page says it will work (just ignore the Linux stuff).

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_j5700_series.html

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I don't think it's an Outlook problem. You will likely get further in HP Forums.

Peer-To-Peer printing is always hard to get working. Didn't know people actually try to do it any more. Be sure both printers have different names if using Windows networking. Double check drivers. Turn off ALL firewalls. Try the HP Universal Driver since you are just printing. Uninstall the AirPrint thing. Might also just be a flakey printer (they look kinda old). Too bad you can't assign a static IP address.

A HP JetDirect Print Server is the best solution. Then you can assign a static IP. This page says it will work (just ignore the Linux stuff).

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_j5700_series.html
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay. Decided to buy an eprinter, will arrive tomorrow. However, in the interest of science, pls expand on "peer to peer". Do you mean because the printer is plugged via USB into my main desktop, that makes it peer to peer with the laptop trying to talk to it? You say you didn't know anyone did this anymore. How else would you do it with an old printer that can't connect to the network? (no printer server or router won't support the HP USP connection). Especially since there are Win7 patches available that make old printers virtual eprinters (for the iPad). This scenario worked fine for a couple yrs till now and it's suspicious it quit working after installing bitdefender AV on the desktop. However, a full uninstall of BD did not fix problem. Nor did shutting down the MS firewall.

I got tired of messing with it and figured $100 was the easiest solution plus my wife won't have to walk so far to the print-outs.

There's a quandary/conundrum/paradox with printers these days; the older ones are more robust, substantial and used less ink. The newer ones are flimsy and increasingly want to sell more ink but better support mobile devices. My 8 yr old HP's work just fine in terms of spitting out paper with printing on it.

Thanks again for the reply.

Vince

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay. Decided to buy an eprinter, will arrive tomorrow. However, in the interest of science, pls expand on "peer to peer". Do you mean because the printer is plugged via USB into my main desktop, that makes it peer to peer with the laptop trying to talk to it? You say you didn't know anyone did this anymore. How else would you do it with an old printer that can't connect to the network? (no printer server or router won't support the HP USP connection). Especially since there are Win7 patches available that make old printers virtual eprinters (for the iPad). This scenario worked fine for a couple yrs till now and it's suspicious it quit working after installing bitdefender AV on the desktop. However, a full uninstall of BD did not fix problem. Nor did shutting down the MS firewall.

I got tired of messing with it and figured $100 was the easiest solution plus my wife won't have to walk so far to the print-outs.

There's a quandary/conundrum/paradox with printers these days; the older ones are more robust, substantial and used less ink. The newer ones are flimsy and increasingly want to sell more ink but better support mobile devices. My 8 yr old HP's work just fine in terms of spitting out paper with printing on it.

Thanks again for the reply.
Yes, that's what makes it peer-to-peer. HP JetDirect box should support most/all function or always at least printing (see link).

Yes, if it's not a "real printer or host-mode printer" ... it might use computers processing power to print ... making it trouble-some for anti-virus, network firewalls, etc. But also, host-mode printer via shared USB is sometimes flakey.

I use a cheap inkjet to scan and fax and a nice (host-mode) HP 400 to color laser print everything. Both are network connected. Ran an old laser on little 10/100 print-server box for many years before that. 100% reliable. If you don't need to send the occasional fax, get a stand-alone USB scanner (ditch inkjet all-together).

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
ok, thanks again. While my (2) HP J5750's are "all in ones", could never get scanning to work right and probably send one fax every 2 yrs. Have an Epson 1200 Perfection scanner, probably 15 yrs old that still works great for solid hi res scans.

The new printer is an HP8100 print only. I'm not familiar with the term "host mode printer". Is that just where the printer plugs right into the computer's USB (or old parallel) port vs remotely over the net or wireless?