How to append text to a redirected message

doustj

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi

Can I automatically append text to a message that is redirected via a Rule?

Background:

We each have our own Outlook accounts. We have set up another account Absences@myplace.com. The idea being that when we want to notify people we're going to be absent we send an email to absences and it forwards it via a rule to the people who have opted in to being told when you're absent. This works well.

I would like to have some text added (probably prepended) to the message body inviting recipients of the email to join the Absence Notification scheme.

Is this possible?

Regards,

JD

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yes, it may be possible. Is outlook forwarding it or a server side rule? If outlook is doing it, you can use a run a script rule to insert text. Server side is a little more effort and may or may not be doable.

See Outlook's Rules and Alerts: Run a Script - there are link to all kinds of samples at the bottom of the page.

doustj

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Many thanks for your reply.

As I'm wanting to redirect rather than forward, I think it's being done on the server side - so I don't think that the script would work, but I might be mistaken.

But I went down the path of doing a script just in case I was wrong. I created the script, but nothing appeared in the drop down list when trying to select the script in the Manage Rules box. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

(screenshot of script attached).

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yeah, a macro won't work if the account is not open in Outlook - if everything is handled without opening the account in outlook, it's server side.

That said, the macro name needs to be formatted like this:

Public Sub ChangeBody (Item As Outlook.MailItem)

The code you are using needs tweaked to work as a rule. Was that one of my code samples?