Sorting "sent emails" is not logical. Is there a better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallycat

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am using Outlook 2013. When I go to "sent" mail and sort on "to", the emails are sorted, but it is not quite what I want. The problem is that if you send emails to "Dave Smith", then it sorts all emails to Dave Smith in order. But if you send emails to Dave Smith and Mike Brown, then all these emails are sorted together after the Dave Smith emails, and so on for every possible group of emails you have sent. The problem I have with this is when I am trying to find an email that I know I sent to Dave Smith, but I also sent to others (unknown top of mind). So how can I sort all emails that were sent to "Dave Smith plus anyone else, in any order in the address to field" and have them in reverse date order. So that the most recent emails are at the top.

I have tried turning on and off grouping, and also using custom sort, but haven't been able to solve this problem.

Any help appreciated.

Matt

mallycat

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks for your reply. A quick "it wont work" is worth a lot of hours. Sorry for the stupid question (I do actually know quite a lot about outlook) but when you say "instant search" do you mean the search box at the top of my inbox, or something else?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
There are no stupid questions in Outlookland. :) Yes, the Search field at the top of the Inbox. You can limit searches to the current folder or search all folders.

If it's a search you do often, you can create a search folder - when I'm working on a project, i often create search folders so i can easily find messages relating to the project.

mallycat

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks Diane, that is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.