Linking Contacts to a Message Where the Contact isn't an Addressee

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJB

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I work in a busy Human Resources office where emails are sent back and forth about individuals. I have each of these "clients" listed in a contact list and use the contacts/activities to track emails to and from each client. However, in many cases I send notes to other offices asking about a client where the client himself is not part of the conversation. (eg: My note to a manager about a nomination for an award for Joe Smith isn't sent to Joe Smith, but I want to be able to see this in Joe Smith's activities.)

There is a setting to add a contacts box to tasks, and meetings, but not to messages. You can go through several steps to get to message options to add in contacts.

Is there an easier way to link contacts to messages without making them a party to the discussion?

On the several steps - it should be one click if the messages is open - then you can type the contacts name or click Contacts to select the contact.

Click the Expand button in the Options section to open Options dialog:

expand.jpg

In the message list, right click and choose Message Options.

Message Options is under All Commands for customizing the QAT - although I'm not sure it will be timesaving since you can only add it to the QAT - the Expand button may be more convenient to click, unless you move the QAT below the ribbon.

I don't see it in the toolbar customization list (for when the message is closed) - i could be blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Linking Excel Cell to Shared Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
J Custom Contacts: Linking button to website Using Outlook 4
G Linking Outlook to Access for Contacts in Access Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Sharing BCM contacts and linking items to records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Linking Information from Accounts to Business Contacts Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Linking contact to an Appointment Using Outlook 1
P Run Time Error 91 when linking contact to task in VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Travis Lloyd Linking Outlook 2016 Desktop To POP3 Acc't On Android Phone Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
B Can't expose sender email address when linking outlook to access Using Outlook 3
Andrew Hawkins Linking tasks Using Outlook 1
N linking an already sent/rec'd email to contact record like it did in 2000 Using Outlook 0
C Linking e-mails BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Need help concerning emails linking to BCM. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
P Linking email responses to initial email sent Using Outlook 5
M Custom Contact form queries (date control & contact/calender linking) Using Outlook 1
R Can't use "manage linking and tracking" BCM (Business Contact Manager) 10
K add an email to a business contact without linking/tracking sender BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
K add an email to an account without linking and tracking the email address BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
B Linking from Excel to public outlook 2010 calendar. Using Outlook 0
W Linking dropdown values Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Not all Email folders appearing in Manage E-mail Auto-linking BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Linking a Business Contact to multiple Accounts? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M linking projects and tasks data to access or excel BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Auto-linking emails by default shared DB BCM 2007 on SQL 2008 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
L Out of memory errors and Auto-linking hangs BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
G Apply Custom Contacts form to all existing Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
L Applying new form to existing contacts -- MessageClass Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Bardiferous Weird Contacts Behavior - Can't find any in any address book, but they're in there Using Outlook 3
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
P How to clear out all contacts in iCloud, so I can use iCloud-based sync program Using Outlook 1
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 0
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
R How to force Outlook to use plain text in notes for Contacts? Using Outlook 1
S Cannot print Contacts Using Outlook 7
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
D Advanced e-Mail search on from/to contact group only searches for first 20 contacts in group Using Outlook 0
P Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
K Font Sizing in Custom Form Regions for Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook - hidden contacts? Using Outlook 2
H Synchronize contacts and calendars across multiple devices Using Outlook 0