email security (backups)

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm currently using POP3 with "leave email on server" checked. Can someone tell me if this is comparable to IMAP in terms of having an auto backup of my email should my PC hard drive suddenly croak? That is do I still need to make backups of my pst file?

If mail is safe on the server, does that include contacts and calendar too or is that only stored locally?

Should I consider switching to IMAP even though I ONLY access email from one PC. Never remotely nor from mobile devices. If I need to do it from a hotel/motel somewhere, I use Yahoo mail, my underlying mail server.

thanks!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
While I would not leave mail on the server as backup method, it will work. You won't have sent items, or calendar or contacts. I think its better to make a copy of the pst before you start outlook - once a week may be enough, maybe once a month if you don't update calendar and contacts often.

See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/backup-outlook-data-files-using-batch-bat/ for one method of making copies. Oh, and if you made your profile in Outlook 2010, the pst file is in your my documents folder - if you routinely back the folder up, you'll include the pst. Keep in mind that most backup software does not work if outlook is open, so close it before running backup.

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
While I would not leave mail on the server as backup method, it will work. You won't have sent items, or calendar or contacts. I think its better to make a copy of the pst before you start outlook - once a week may be enough, maybe once a month if you don't update calendar and contacts often.

See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/backup-outlook-data-files-using-batch-bat/ for one method of making copies. Oh, and if you made your profile in Outlook 2010, the pst file is in your my documents folder - if you routinely back the folder up, you'll include the pst. Keep in mind that most backup software does not work if outlook is open, so close it before running backup.
ok, thanks for the quick reply.