How do I get rid of odd formatting of new e-mails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have taken over an e-mail account belonging to an employee who has now left, and I am suffering from frustration as a result of the odd formatting that is applied to new e-mails created using her account.

When I click "New E-mail", I get a new e-mail with a sort of cloudy blue and white background pattern. When I start typing at the top of the e-mail, text comes up in a 10-point Arial font in blue. If I move the cursor down a line, and type there, I get a 12-point Times New Roman font in black. There are also strange problems with paragraph spacing and indentations appearing when I don't want them, which I can't even understand myself, let alone explain to you!

We use Cobweb Hosted Exchange 2010, which came with a standalone copy of Outlook 2010. Before that, we used Outlook 2007. We upgraded that to Outlook 2010 when we got the new Hosted Exchange package from Cobweb Solutions.

Online sources suggest (a) that to change the default background and so on, I need to check the "Themes" settings, and (b) that "Themes" are not available with a standalone copy of Outlook 2010. My guess is that the former employee set up a "Theme" when we were using Outlook 2007, and that it was inherited by Outlook 2010 when we upgraded it, and that I can now no longer change the "Theme" because the new Outlook is a standalone copy. But that is just my guess.

So am I stuck with this background and the odd formatting problems, or is there some way of getting rid of them?

Thank you!

See if this key value is in the registry - delete the NewStationery value if present.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\MailSettings

Expandable String: NewStationery

Enter name of stationery as the Value

Or, copy winword.exe to the same folder as outlook.exe - themes should work then. (You can copy any file and rename it winword.exe - yes, outlook is easily fooled.)

Thank you, Diane Poremsky!

That entry was in the registry, with value name "NewStationery" and value data "Clear Day".

I have now blanked out the value data and clicked "OK", and have restarted Outlook.

Everything now appears to be fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
2 How to get rid of the "Emailing:" prefix in the subject line Using Outlook 1
Commodore Getting rid of "This computer only" Using Outlook 4
A How to get rid of Contacts field when printing emails? Using Outlook 0
A How to get rid of "sending on behalf of" when sending from Outlook 2016 client Using Outlook 12
I Many empty Contacts folders.. cannot get rid of them Using Outlook 4
J How do I get rid of the underscores when replying to a message in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 6
L HOw to get rid of multiple recurrent appointments that are all the same Using Outlook 1
W How to get rid!? Using Outlook 19
T Get rid of having to type verification characters to send mail BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
David McKay VBA to manually forward using odd options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
PetraTech Odd Folder View Problem Using Outlook 3
V Calendar event acting odd Using Outlook 7
C Odd error message not found in Google search Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2013 - Odd Sync behaviour Using Outlook 1
V Odd data file? Using Outlook 5
D This is odd Using Outlook 2
U Odd behaviour for auto-receive Using Outlook 2
C Open message is stuck minimized -Odd behavior when replying to a message(2010) Using Outlook 1
H Odd symbol when stripping characters using vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C View doesn't refresh (fields or formatting) Using Outlook 1
V Can one change the formatting of email title blocks? Using Outlook 0
N Help creating a VBA macro with conditional formatting to change the font color of all external emails to red Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
K Outlook tasks formatting Using Outlook 4
E Conditional formatting - when current account <> received account ? Using Outlook 3
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P BCM conditional formatting BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
S Conditional Formatting for messages in a Conversation thread Using Outlook 1
S Conditional Formatting in calendar part of To-Do Bar Using Outlook 1
S Conditional formatting problem with "is not empty" and categories Using Outlook 2
N How to remove signature formatting from Text in Word (accidentally taken from Outlook) Using Outlook 0
K Conditional Formatting based on Department of person received from? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Using conditional formatting on a shared calendar with categories Using Outlook 6
L Email to task without changin formatting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
K Paste from Windows Clipboard then change font without losing formatting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Change default colors for conditional formatting Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Use Word Macro to Apply Formatting to Email Using Outlook 0
makinmyway How Prevent Re-Formatting of Contact Notes Field When Syncing Using Outlook 10
G outlook 13 copy & paste without losing formatting Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 Formatting Using Outlook 1
D telephone formatting Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Conditional formatting - font sizes Using Outlook 3
A Lync meeting in outlook lose HTML formatting Using Outlook 3
A Help creating macro for conditional formatting settings Using Outlook 8
B Conditional Formatting:How to use >1 value in a filter Using Outlook 7
Copwriter Paragraph formatting in blank messages/stationery Using Outlook 3
V Report stuck formatting page Using Outlook 1
T The Formatting Changes When A Recurring Appointment is Changed Using Outlook 1
J Formatting Contacts to Export for iPhone Using Outlook 0
A Using OR when organising with conditional formatting Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2010 not formatting in-line comments Using Outlook 5