Exchange 2010 / Emails received show with display name and not email address

cmcglade

We just moved our Exchange server to 2010 (still using Outlook 2003 on client PCs though). The attorneys in our firm are complaining though, that the email shows as FROM the person's display name, rather than their email address (for external parties). Is there any way to remedy this, or is it by design in 2010? For instance, one client uses an AOL account and his display name is David... which is a bit lacking. At least if it showed his complete email address, that would provide more information. Also, if there were a way to tie in to existing contacts to use our display name as it appears in the user's contacts, that would be acceptable as well.

Thanks for any solutions you can offer.

Christiane McGlade

Trainer/Help Desk Support

Garfunkel Wild, P.C.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Re: Exchange 2010 / Emails received show with display name and not email addre

Outlook should use Name <address> format in the From field of received messages (in the reading pane or an open message), with the name being the display name the sender configured in their email client. The message list always uses the sender's display name.

You can't tie the contacts to the display name, sorry.

Which version of Exchange did you upgrade from? There is a setting in Exchange that controls display names, but I'm 99.9% sure it only applies to people listed in the GAL, not people outside the network. I can check and see if anything in the old version controlled this and how its done in Exchange 2010.

cmcglade

Re: Exchange 2010 / Emails received show with display name and not email addre

Hi Diane,

Right now we're getting just Name in the From field... I've seen some posts on the web about creating a custom form with a custom field that you insert after modifying the cfg file... I'm hoping there's something simpler. Are you aware of an Exchange setting that I can tell my boss of, so she can check?

We had been on Exchange 2003 prior, but are in the process of upgrading as well as moving data and programs to a new virtual network. So far this is the big complaint of living in that hybrid world.

Thanks,

Chris

Outlook should use Name <address> format in the From field of received messages (in the reading pane or an open message), with the name being the display name the sender configured in their email client. The message list always uses the sender's display name.

You can't tie the contacts to the display name, sorry.

Which version of Exchange did you upgrade from? There is a setting in Exchange that controls display names, but I'm 99.9% sure it only applies to people listed in the GAL, not people outside the network. I can check and see if anything in the old version controlled this and how its done in Exchange 2010.