Trying to get old emails from a not working computer but having trouble.

blank75

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
My old vista computer won't boot up using a SATA Cable I was able to access the hard drive to save pictures and documents and I'd liek to get my old emails from my outlook 2000. i followed the directions here:

https://forums.slipstick.com/threads/85741-restoring-outlook-2000-messages/

but after un-hiding the "documents and settings" folder it has a lock on it. I followed the directions here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17117/remove-the-lock-icon-from-a-folder-in-windows-7/

But when I try to save the changes it says: "unable to save permission changes on Documents and Settings access is denied."

Is there anyway i can get access to this folder?

My old computer was a vista and i used outlook 2000 my new one is windows 7 and uses outlook 2010.

blank75

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
Do any of the entries in the permissions dialog have the SID (long number) rather than the friendly account name? If so, delete them. If you can't delete it, try the next folder up the path.

Recover pst from crashed computer
Under "documents and settings properties" and security tab the group or usernames are:

Everyone

System

Administrators (computername/adminstrator)

Users (computername/users

I keep trying to open the folder but it says "access is denied"

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Will it let you Add a user? Specifically, your new user account?

blank75

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
Will it let you Add a user? Specifically, your new user account?
Yes, I created the Users (computername\users)

When I try to open the folder Documents and setting it says it's not accessible access is denied.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
not users, your own user acct - computername\blank75 - that is how i always do it. You may need to be an administrator to do it.

blank75

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3