Can Unicode PST exceed 2GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Murphy

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
A couple of months ago, I got help here in converting my old ANSI PST to the new Unicode format. I was a little panicky because it was getting close to the 2GB limit for ANSI PST files. The Unicode PST is now over 2 GB (2,133,461 KB).

I am planning to develop an archive strategy to offload large chunks of emails to archive PST files, but haven't had a chance to get to it.

Will I be OK with a PST file that is larger than 2 GB for awhile? Outlook does seem to be running a little more slowly, but do I risk data corruption? I hope to get to the archive plan soon.

What is my new limit or how do I find out?

Thanks

You'll be fine as long as its the Unicode format. The new pst file size is 20 GB, it can be raised using a registry setting. My personal preference is under 5 GB, so you have a ways to go. As for slowness, try moving mail out of the Inbox and into a nothing folder in the pst - when you get over 3000 messages in the inbox, it can begin to slow it down. It's ok to have a lot of items in other folders, but the Inbox is where most people "live" and they notice when it seems to slow down. i move messages as I'm finished with them, to a folder named "Completed".

You'll be fine as long as its the Unicode format. The new pst file size is 20 GB, it can be raised using a registry setting. My personal preference is under 5 GB, so you have a ways to go. As for slowness, try moving mail out of the Inbox and into a nothing folder in the pst - when you get over 3000 messages in the inbox, it can begin to slow it down. It's ok to have a lot of items in other folders, but the Inbox is where most people "live" and they notice when it seems to slow down. i move messages as I'm finished with them, to a folder named "Completed".

OK, good. Thanks.

I only have about a dozen messages in the Inbox itself. I never let it get more than a couple of screen long. But I do have quite a few subfolders off of (under?) the Inbox:

Code:
Personal Folders (Unicode)
  Deleted Items
  Drafts
  Inbox
     00 ASAP
        Project 1
        Project 2
        . . .
     01 Soon
        Project X
        Project Y
        . . .
    . . .
  Junk E-mail
  . . .

Some of those subfolders have quite a few emails. I can create another top-level folder (eg Inbox2) and move them all there. Would that make a difference?

normally, subfolder in the inbox don't affect it - and a couple of dozen messages wouldn't slow it down. It's possible that moving the folder to the same level as the inbox will make it feel snappier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jennifer Murphy How to Copy Categories from the Old ANSI PST to the New Unicode PST? Using Outlook 4
Jennifer Murphy Distribution list fails after conversion to Unicode PST Using Outlook 2
Jennifer Murphy Questions about ANSI-Unicode PST conversion article Using Outlook 2
K Trouble converting the ANSI PST to a Unicode PST Using Outlook 4
H Converting an old Microsoft Outlook PST to a new Unicode PST Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2002 - How to upgrade to 2003 and convert PST from ANSI to Unicode? Using Outlook 7
P Recommendation for PST repair program Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 365 Bad experience with KernelAPPS PST Repair program Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
W Outlook 365 File access denied attempting to import .pst Using Outlook 6
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
S Import PST to Office 365 Using Outlook 1
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Kernel Outlook .pst viewer Using Outlook 3
G Outlook Express (DBX) to Outlook (PST) Conversion Software Wanted Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2003 .pst Will Not Restore Completely to Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 5
J SCANPST errors Outlook PST repair? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5
J What are .PST.db and .PST.db.journal Files? Using Outlook 2
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
L Article on merging pst file Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Changing where data .pst is saved to Using Outlook 3
M Convertor for Outlook Express Mail Store (.dbx) to Outlook Mail Store (.pst) Using Outlook 0
D a general question re how backup programs handle pst files ... I have no problems, just curious Using Outlook 1
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
K Need to convert .mmf file to .pst format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
J outlook 2007 doesn't let me choose which .pst to search Using Outlook 2
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
K Disabling import/export button to restrict PST creation Using Outlook 3
K Export Folder to PST Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1
P PST file is getting huge under POP 3 Using Outlook 2
M Export-Import .pst file problems Using Outlook 2
L Cannot open PST file for first session each day Using Outlook 6
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 2016 OST thinks it is PST? Using Outlook 1
N .pst archive from work will not open/import on Microsoft 365 Exchange Server Administration 0
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
J Export Zimbra to Outlook PST Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
D Can Exchange Admin Center create a pst for users email/contacts/calendar? Exchange Server Administration 0
S What's in a PST file? Using Outlook 1
N VBA to delete duplicates by message-id on common pst for 2 or more emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Copy and replace not update contact in another pst Using Outlook 0