can't sync iPhone 4 with Outlook2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
While syncing seems to be working now and the comingld data is gone, some questions linger:

The laptop Outlook2010 that syncs with an iPad/iPhone has 2 calendars: one populated and named "Calendar - iCloud" and a 2nd that's blank called "Calendar from iCloud" which I do not want to use; the system's naming convention, not mine. Going to icloud.com, there is no blank calendar, only the expected populated one ("Calendar-iCloud" I assume). I only want to use the one with data, the 1st one. Do you know the difference between the two (both called iCloud) and can I delete the 2nd one? have not tried out of fear of breaking something....again.

Also, trying to make the 1st one the default and the only one appearing will not work just by unchecking the box for the 2nd. When I close then re-open Outlook, both boxes are checked again and both appear.

Thanks again for the help.

While syncing seems to be working now and the comingld data is gone, some questions linger:

The laptop Outlook2010 that syncs with an iPad/iPhone has 2 calendars: one populated and named "Calendar - iCloud" and a 2nd that's blank called "Calendar from iCloud" which I do not want to use; the system's naming convention, not mine. Going to icloud.com, there is no blank calendar, only the expected populated one ("Calendar-iCloud" I assume). I only want to use the one with data, the 1st one. Do you know the difference between the two (both called iCloud) and can I delete the 2nd one? have not tried out of fear of breaking something....again.

Also, trying to make the 1st one the default and the only one appearing will not work just by unchecking the box for the 2nd. When I close then re-open Outlook, both boxes are checked again and both appear.

Thanks again for the help.

Re/ the red query above, visited the Apple Genius bar today and was told to just delete the offending/blank calendar.

A few posts ago (above) I asked for a link to info you provided on various iCloud/Outlook problems. I think this is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/icloud-and-outlook-problems/

Correct, delete any calendars you aren't using - it will delete them from iCloud and the devices too. Obviously not a problem if you aren't using it. (I missed that question earlier, could have saved you a trip to the bar. :))

I had other iPhone/iPad centric questions anyway, so wanted to go. So.... I deleted the empty calendar on icloud.com and it did what I feard it would. it cleared all data from the other calendar. Fortunately the data remains in Outlook and on the 2 "i" devices. ???

The situation:

calendar #1: named "calendar - iCloud" used to contain data on icloud.com but blank after deleting calendar#2.

calendar #2: named "calendar on iCloud" a blank calendar. I deleted it from icloud.com and this cleared the other calendar.

(these were not names I assigned, but system generated names. I have no idea what the differences is. Ones an iCloud calendar and the other's "on" iCloud ???)

The initial problem was that nothing I could do with the Outlook check boxes would stop calendar#2, the blank one, from being the default in Outlook. I would have to instruct my wife that every time she opened the calendar to toggle the check boxes to view the real calendar and always ignore the empty one. I saw no way in Outlook to delete the blank one from within Outlook.

Fortunately, "calendar-iCloud" in Outlook is still populated on the laptop, iPhone and iPad, plus I've backed it up. I've been wondering if it would sooner or later resync with the cloud but it's been 2 hrs and icloud.com is still blank.

Any ideas what's going on?

Hmmm... it's working now. I clicked "+" at bottom rt of the icloud.com calendar screen to add a dummy entry and suddenly the calendar became populated. I had added a dummy event on the laptop and it propagated everywhere including icloud.com, so I guess it works and deleting the unwanted calendar was the right move after all. Perhaps just a quirk in the s/w that the remaining calendar appears momentarily blank till you try to add something or at least click +.

BTW, the Apple Genius lady yesterday said it's preferred to do major calendar (and contacts) edits in icloud.com and results will be pushed down to all devices. She said it's more efficient than editing at one particular "i" device.

Never mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.