Suggested contacts are not retained after exiting Outlook 2010; Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhgarrett

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
After sending an email from an IMAP account to a new contact from my address book, as expected, the contact shows as a suggestion for new emails when typing into the To, Cc, and Bcc lines. Upon exiting Outlook, and restarting Outlook the contact no longer appears as a suggestion. There are, however some suggested contacts retained.

My address book is using contacts from iCloud; I am running Outlook 2010 under Windows 8.1.

I have checked: File->Options->Contacts-
Automatically create Outlook contacts for recipients that do not belong to an Outlook Address Book

I have checked: File->Options->Mail-
Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing into the To, Cc, and Bcc lines

I have tried Emptying the Auto-Complete list, and also deleting the

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache directory.

I'd like to know how to manage the suggested contacts list, so that I can selectively add contacts to it that will be retained after closing and reopening outlook

Re: Suggested contacts are not retained after exiting Outlook 2010; Windows 8.

Names not already in your address book should be added to the Suggested Contacts folder in your local pst file when you send them email. The address *should* also be added to the autocomplete list. If the autocomplete list isn't getting saved, it means either the list is corrupted (you reset it and deleted the stream, which would fix corruption) or Outlook isn't closing "cleanly" and the data isn't being written to the stream. Close Outlook yourself a few minutes before shutting down the computer and if anything is using the data file (like sync software other than iCloud), exit the software before closing outlook. If you don't reboot every day, don't let windows updates reboot automatically, reboot it yourself.

I tried again to reset everything: I exited Outlook, rebooted the laptop, checked to Empty the Auto-Complete list, then deleted the

RoamCache directory. No suggestions for the iCloud contact is retained after exiting and restarting Outlook.

After sending an email to one of my iCloud contacts, and exiting Outlook, I see that the Date Modified time on the Stream_ files is not changing. The other Add-ins that I might suspect are iCloud, iTunes and Dragon Naturally Speaking. I don't have any other syncing software that I know of running. I'm also running McAffe Total Protection.

I double-checked that I have checked both:

Automatically create Outlook contacts for recipients that do not belong to an Outlook Address Book

Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing into the To, Cc, and Bcc lines

Additionally, there are only eight files in the RoamCache directory; the Stream_Autocomplete_ file was never re-created.

I then tried sending an email to a non-existant email address to see if Stream_Autocomplete_ would be created with the non-existant address as a Suggested Contact. After exiting Outlook there was still no Stream_Autocomplete_ file created.

Hello Diane. Do you have any other suggestions for me? I have a second PC running Windows Vista that seems to be working with Outlook, and I could copy appropriate files from that PC to the Windows 8.1 PC. I'd need guidance, though, since I see multiple versions of .nst, .ost, and .pst files.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Suggested Contacts are gone Using Outlook 10
Commodore Suggested Contacts by last added Using Outlook 1
D.Moore Suggested Searches Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 - Remove or Hide Suggested Contact Folders Using Outlook 1
B Sorting suggested times in room finder Using Outlook 1
G Apply Custom Contacts form to all existing Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
L Applying new form to existing contacts -- MessageClass Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Bardiferous Weird Contacts Behavior - Can't find any in any address book, but they're in there Using Outlook 3
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
P How to clear out all contacts in iCloud, so I can use iCloud-based sync program Using Outlook 1
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 0
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
R How to force Outlook to use plain text in notes for Contacts? Using Outlook 1
S Cannot print Contacts Using Outlook 7
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
D Advanced e-Mail search on from/to contact group only searches for first 20 contacts in group Using Outlook 0
P Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
K Font Sizing in Custom Form Regions for Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook - hidden contacts? Using Outlook 2
H Synchronize contacts and calendars across multiple devices Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 Change how Outlook shows me contacts in emails Using Outlook 0
L Favorites for People/Contacts? Using Outlook 1
K can't get custom form to update multiple contacts using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Horsepower Contacts added from iPhone don't show up in Outlook Using Outlook 2
B oContacts.Items.Restrict Misses Some Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
F Moving Contacts to New Profile Using Outlook 0
V Contacts in O365 have changed?? Using Outlook 20
T Outlook 2010 BCM Migration to Standard Contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
D Is a sub folder under contacts necessary to be able to name an Address Book? Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2016 Contacts missing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
L icloud contacts sync Using Outlook 4
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2016 Creating a shared local Contacts folder Using Outlook 2
M VbScript for Command Button on Contacts Custom Form Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2013 Change color of text in data fields of contacts in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 10
M Changing the preferred order for "Put this entry in" list for adding new contacts to the Address Book Using Outlook 1
GregS Exporting contacts Using Outlook 1
O Synchronising contacts Outlook 365 with Google v.v. Using Outlook 4
J can't sync outlook calendar contacts with iphone ipad Using Outlook 4