BCM 2007 Can't find SS2012Express

Mel Jewett

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Installed BCM for Outlook 2007 and tried to configure it. The error message is "Cannot retrieve the list of SQL Server instances..."

SQL Server Express 2012 is installed on the local machine (W7 Pro) and is running (used constantly as a back-end dbserver).

I have enabled TCP/IP on the SS Config. Manager.

We are a small business without a central server, but running on a domain server from a large hospital. I have administrative rights on my own computer.

Can this setup work? If so, what should I do next?

Thanks for any help.

Mel

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It *should* work. I've used it with a remote server, but not with a local db.

I know if you are using the BCM Database Tool to set up a remote SQL Server 2012, you'll get this error if you logging on as Network Service: Cannot create a new database. The operation has been rolled back. Please make sure the database service is running.

The solution: Log on as a Local System instead.

I don't know if similar issues apply to the local install, but its worth checking the SQL accounts.

Mel Jewett

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, I'm using the BCM Database Tool for Outlook 2007. Trying to connect to a SSExpress 2012 on the same machine. I log in to W7 with administrative rights. The SSExpress is a back-end database for Access 2007 which I use constantly. So, SS is always running, even when I'm not logged on to the computer.

Normally SSExpress is only configured using shared memory. BCM can't find it. When I added TCP/IP, BCM still can't find SSExpress. I have not tried named pipes yet.

Access 2007 and Excel 2007 find SSExpress without a problem. I'm also testing a couple of 3d party db tools for reporting and exporting from SSExpress, and they also have no problem finding it.

Any other thoughts?

Mel

It *should* work. I've used it with a remote server, but not with a local db.

I know if you are using the BCM Database Tool to set up a remote SQL Server 2012, you'll get this error if you logging on as Network Service: Cannot create a new database. The operation has been rolled back. Please make sure the database service is running.

The solution: Log on as a Local System instead.

I don't know if similar issues apply to the local install, but its worth checking the SQL accounts.