Outlook Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjobrent

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
Good Morning All,

We are having connection issues with Outlook 2010. We are running Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit on all computers and running Microsoft Security Essentials, the issue occurs at random times throughout the day for every user (total of 8 users), but rarely are multiple users facing the issues at the same time, so when one or 2 users can't connect everyone else can. Everything will be working fine and then all of a sudden, the send/receive error pops up and says cannot connect to server. Our mail service is hosted and I have checked with them and they have verified that if it was their issue then all the users would experience the same issue at the same time. They also have a webmail service that when I cannot connect through outlook, I can try that to check account connection, I can always connect through the webmail even if outlook says errors. I also contacted the ISP and they verified that it is nothing on their ends all of the ports we are using are wide open.

My question is what can I try to avoid the connection errors, I have tried turning off the anti-virus and Windows firewall? They said that is isn't the router because all users would have same issue at same time. It is definitely a computer based issue any ideas that I can try?

Thanks!

Brent

It sounds like there is a block of some sort based on number of connections - that's why it works for some but not all. Low bandwidth could cause it too, but i think it would need to be pretty slow. On the other hand, Outlook is pretty talkative and the mail provider could be limiting the number of connections per IP address - I'm assuming you all use the same IP?

Does it reconnect on it's own later or go into a hung state?

Thanks for the reply, it does connect after awhile, normally it requires the user to force the send/receive process. Yes we all use the same IP. Is there anyway to trace the connection and look for errors or a log that reports more than the "Unable to Connect to Server" error.

You can turn on logging in Outlook and see if what it reports as the problem -

Outlook 2007:

Tools menu, click Options.

On the Other tab, click Advanced Options.

Select the Enable logging (troubleshooting) check box, and then click OK and return to outlook.

Log files will be in %temp%\Outlook (type or paste that in the address bar of windows explorer then press enter)

The difficult part is you'll need to enable it for everyone until someone has problems. One logged incident should be enough - disable logging on all of the computers and open the log from the problem computer in notepad and see what clues it holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Office 365 and Outlook connection issues Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
S Outlook connector, numerous versions, connection issues Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
glnz How to retrieve or redo Verizon.net email password without affecting Outlook connection? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 IMAP Connection Returns All Email but outlook.com does NOT Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
O Outlook 2016 0x800CCC0F 'The connection to the server was interrupted' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
M Outlook Email Connection Error Using Outlook 3
K Work Email - Calander Connection to Outlook.com Using Outlook 2
R The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be Using Outlook 1
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
M connection to the microsoft exchange server has been lost. outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 0
0 Outlook 2010 causes computer to lose connection when opening and Send/Receive Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 14
T Outlook keep loosing connection to the exchange server Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2007 "Connection Status..." shows 3 "Disconnected" entries of type "Directory" Using Outlook 18
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to have a reminder in Outlook 2021 for every 90 days Using Outlook 3
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0