BCM 2010 Problem with remote office (VPN) users cannot connect

ramtec

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi

We have BCM databases in London and wish to connect a few remote offices. I am trying to get BCM working on machines in Sri Lanka.

I have run the BCM setup successfully with my user account (created on one of the machines applying the switch user trick), however no matter what I try I cannot get the two Sri Lankan accounts to see the database.

servername\mssqlserver,1433

It works for me and not for them so I know there are no port, firewall routing issues, they are both added to the database using the BCM tool.

I've been working on this for weeks so please help while I have hair left.

Many thanks in advance.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Could the firewall on their computers be blocking the ports? If it works for you it means the server's firewall is allowing it to get through, as is the firewall on your computer.

Are you using domain logons?

What language are they using, both in outlook and the OS? Is it the same as you are using?

ramtec

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Many thanks for the speedy reply.

Could the firewall on their computers be blocking the ports? If it works for you it means the server's firewall is allowing it to get through, as is the firewall on your computer.

I've setup my domain account on their computers and configured outlook and BCM fine so can't see it being firewall as I would have the same problem trying to connect?

Are you using domain logons?

Yes domain logons

What language are they using, both in outlook and the OS? Is it the same as you are using?
It's English on both

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Well, we can rule out problems with the languages.

Oh, so you are using their computer with your domain account and its fine, it's only their account that has the problem? I'd look at the SQL server permissions. Are their accounts being Denied permissions? Have you checked the server's Event log for login errors?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, we can rule out problems with the languages.

Oh, so you are using their computer with your domain account and its fine, it's only their account that has the problem? I'd look at the SQL server permissions. Are their accounts being Denied permissions? Have you checked the server's Event log for login errors?

ramtec

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks again, I will look at the logs. I would of thought that if added and deletedthem from the bcm tool that would be enough. Not having any problems with any London based accounts. I will also double check the languages under their profiles.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Adding them using the BCM tools should be enough since they are domain accounts, but if the accounts have explicit deny permissions to the server, it will be a problem.

ramtec

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Sorry I forgot to mention. I have setup a laptop remotely (vpn) using one of the Sri Lankan domain accounts and have successfully linked into the London server.

ramtec

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
so, I have double checked the languages and both are the same UK English on both outlook and os. I know my account works on their machines and their account works via vpn on my test machine. but still getting the computer xxx is not available when I try to connect using their accounts, very frustrating!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It's something with the login. Their computers are logging into the domain - are they using the same login with the VPN? In a VPN situation, I'm not sure which login passes credentials.

ramtec

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
thanks again for the help, yes I think you are right re the login. I was going to delete/rename the account and then get the user to re-login, however it's happening on all Sri Lankan accounts but will try anyhow.

The vpn works fine for my account using their computers, the vpn accounts on the router have been setup exactly the same.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Are you all logging into the same domain or do they have a domain local to their location they use for the computer login?

If they have two different domains, make sure the one the computer logs into is given permission on the server. BCM is passed the computers username and password.

ramtec

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
sorry should have been more clear, just one domain, accessed through vpn when they need to connect to the server based in London. Outlook anywhere and cached account used for day to day activities apart from BCM and shared server folders when vpn would be used.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm pretty sure its permissions but i don't know whether its on the SQL server or elsewhere.