Status
Not open for further replies.

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello

Could someone provide more details regarding the setup BCM - Windows 8.1 ?
I would like to get more informations regarding atuhentication, is this configuration possible, does Win 8.1 support BCM ?
Additionally it would be good to know if this configuration is allready tested and properly working.

Cheers
W

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
So what exactly has been changed?
I'm trying to perform the same steps (like for Win 7 Farms) for a Win 8.1 Notebook but the connection to the remote database is not working.
When testing the shared DB connectivity I get an error like "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication".
Any ideas ideas where to start searching?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Are you using a domain or local account? Microsoft accounts only work if the computers use the same Microsoft account. I'll check on that specific error when I'm back on my desktop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
It's a local account. For Win 7 it's working perfect but for Win 8 it has a different behaviour.

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi Diane

Did you manage to allocate some time and check the error?
The Windows 8 version is up to date.

Cheers
W

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
So far I haven't been able to bring up that error message using my configurations. Where is the shared database - on a second computer running BCM or on a SQL server? Typically, the error is the result of authentication issues. I know you cannot use a Microsoft login if you want to share a db, unless all computers are using that same logon.

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
The shared database is on a second computer running on a SQL server.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Ok. So it's working perfectly for Windows 7 using the same credentials? That means SQL i setup using the right kind of permissions. Do you use the same windows logon - both username and password - on windows 7 and 8? Did you test it with the windows firewall off?

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
It's working perfectly for another user and the only difference is the OS: Win7 vs Win 8. Testing for the same user with 2 versions of Windows will require some time.
Yes, firewall can be ignored.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Ok - that points back to being a permissions/credentials issue. Ports also need opened on the firewall on Win8, but since the SQL is rejecting the logon, it seems like that is configured correctly.

Let's go over the basics:
Win8 logon must be computername\username or domain\username, not Microsoft account. Username must be configured on the SQL server computer as a user account and must have permission to the SQL db (the BCM tool will set up the SQL permissions). Username must use the same password they use on the computer - when you access the database, Outlook passes the computer logon name and password as credentials.

I'll get a test sql server set up to test it - I reformatted the one i was using for testing. :(

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I had a major breakthrough today and managed to configure BCM with Win 8.1
After several failed attempts it's finally running! :cool:

Many thanks Diane!:)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
:) Now if I could only get mine working... I'm trying once again to get it installed and it's a total failure, like it was the other 500+ times I've tried since it broke. :(

KenFlorian

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Win8 logon must be computername\username or domain\username, not Microsoft account. Username must be configured on the SQL server computer as a user account and must have permission to the SQL db (the BCM tool will set up the SQL permissions). Username must use the same password they use on the computer - when you access the database, Outlook passes the computer logon name and password as credentials.
Is there anyway to work-around this 'inferred credentials' implementation? It would be nice to have the WiN8 login remain domain\username without requiring that the server hosting the BCM database be joined to the domain.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
as long as there is a user account on the bcm host for the username and with the same password it *should* work. BCM doesn't care about the domain\ side, only the username side.

I haven't tested it with the compute logged into a domain, so it's possible it won't work, but as long as the computer can see the bcm host, it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.