Status
Not open for further replies.

SeekingYourHelp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Hi,

I am trying to set up Outlook 2010 to work in Exchange account mode (i.e. not through the Hotmail Connector) to have all the Outlook features of a Microsoft exchange account.

I bought a domain name (with email forwarding only) from GoDaddy and hopefully set up DSN properly (i.e. the TX, MX and SVR settings). I then set up email in domains.live.com. From my reading it seems you can have email, contacts, calendar, tasks, OneDrive, Maps?, among other features. My web based custom domain email works, though I have to usually log out of one account to log into another. From what I remember, a Microsoft Exchange account can also sync email, contacts, calendar, tasks, folders and other features. I know I can sync email, contacts and calendar through IMAP but I also want to sync tasks and folders (as in Exchange) and be able to set my email flags to any date with alarms.

From what I have read, Outlook.com and hopefully my custom domain email, supports EAS / MAPI syncing of these features. I have tried to set up Outlook 2010 (Control Panel > Mail > E-mail Accounts > Email > New > E-mail Account > Next > Manually configure server settings... > Next > Microsoft Exchange... ) using various servers (m.hotmail.com, m.outlook.com, s.outlook.com, go.domains.live.com among others) and my custom domain email address. > Check Names, but I always get the same error: "The action can not be completed. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

Since it is for personal purposes, I don’t want to pay for monthly subscriptions services (i.e. paying for Exchange Hosting). Is there any way to make this work with the services and software I already have? I am will consider getting Outlook 2013 and Exchange Server software if it can make this work.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

You can't use an Outlook.com account (which is what live domains gets you) as an Exchange Server account - it's not Exchange. You need to use the Outlook (Hotmail) Connector, or upgrade to Outlook 2013 and use EAS. Outlook 2010 doesn't support EAS, only 2013. Those, and IMAP, are your only options. (Well, POP3 too, but its download only.)

Thank you very much Diane. I have found your many posts very informative.

Are you saying if I upgrade to Outlook 2013 connecting though EAS I will all the features of a corporate Microsoft Exchange email (i.e. sync'ed email, contacts, calendar, tasks, folders and other features)? Also, will I be able to set my email flags to any date with alarms (which from your other posts you seem to loose in Outlook 2013)?

Thanks again,

all the features of a corporate Microsoft Exchange email
No. Outlook.com is not running on Exchange. It is using ActiveSync (google used to use EAS too, and they definitely never used exchange :)) You will sync calendar, contacts just like you can with the outlook connector, plus tasks.

If you use an EAS account, correct, flags are either on or off in email, no reminders. The same holds true for IMAP accounts. If you use Outlook 2010 and the outlook connector, you should have full flags, reminders and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2010 - email address disappears when setting up new contact Using Outlook 0
M setting up 2 separate businesses in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2010 - email address disappears when setting up new contact Using Outlook 3
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
AlphonseG Outlook 365 Outlook Crashes on setting SaveSentMessageFolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R Outlook 2021 Having problem setting up outlook 2021 with windows 11. I have 3 gmail accounts and I want the 3 gmail, emails to merge into the same outlook input. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
Marc2019 Setting up an Outlook Account on Mac Os 10.6.8 Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 1
L Outlook Office 365 client: won't remember my setting File, not to collapse ribbon Using Outlook 2
C iCloud Setting missing Outlook tab and Outlook missing the iCloud refresh button Using Outlook 4
C need help setting up outlook first time Using Outlook 1
Ed Sheehan Unusual behaviour in setting Sender (Outlook 2016) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Diane Poremsky Setting up an Outlook.com IMAP account Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Setting the default Country for Outlook Contacts Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Adjusting Outlook's Zoom setting in Email Using Outlook 0
B Outlook Calendar/setting appointments Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Adjusting Outlook's Zoom setting in Email Using Outlook 0
A Can't stop Outlook.com from setting reminders on appointments? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
A Setting RULES with more than one condition in MS OUTLOOK Using Outlook 6
L Setting up my PA's Outlook Using Outlook 7
K Help Needed - setting up Email in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
D How do I start completely from scratch in setting up Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 6
C Setting up Outlook 10 on Widows 8 using Google Server Using Outlook 3
I Outlook Appointments - Setting default text in message body Using Outlook 3
V Setting up Outlook 2013 for AOL (POP3) Account Using Outlook 16
V Setting up windows 7 & outlook 2007 w/ Iphone 4 & synch contacts & calendar Using Outlook 9
C starting Outlook 2003 sp3 sets Junk Email setting to 'No automatic filtering' Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2003: Help with setting up a macro to reply to selected emails Using Outlook 2
S Trouble setting up Outlook Connector to sync with windows live Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
P Setting Hotmail Junk Mail Settings from Outlook Doesn't Work Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
B Setting Outlook Parameters in VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Outlook Appointment recurrence setting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Setting combobox properties from Outlook 2007 Add-in Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
T Outlook setting through code(in >tools >options) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Anyone have a sample macro for Outlook 2007 (setting the zoom)? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Question of setting the order of a custom menu in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P OWA Settings->Calendar->Events from Email; Setting changes do not hold Using Outlook 1
M Where is the setting to *turn off* open calendar in a new window? Using Outlook 3
llama_thumper Setting up forwarders on Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 0
B Setting rules Using Outlook 1
B Setting defaults Using Outlook 2
P Reading Pane (Reading Pain?) Default Setting Using Outlook 1
W Setting up a custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
mctabish Setting "Reply To" based on inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Setting font and color used when replying to an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Setting flag follow up for next business day Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Jennifer Murphy Equations don't comply with style setting to left justify Using Outlook 0
J Setting default address book Using Outlook 0
N Does a Shared Folder Policy override a Digital Signature Setting for macros? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
H Need help setting up GetFolderPath-Makro with Vodafone IMAP Mail-Account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0