Converting from POP to IMAP with Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGedlinske

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
I converted my Outlook 2007 setup from POP3 to IMAP - for use with my Comcast email account. I may have done something out of order. I added an IMAP account, and got that to work just fine. My old Personal Folders are still there, including Inbox. Every time I start up Outlook, it defaults to my old POP3 Inbox. I can click on my new IMAP inbox, and send/receive mail just fine. Is there any way to get Outlook to automatically start up looking at my IMAP inbox?

I thought maybe I would have to delete a POP3 account that was still there, but I don't see it. I think I messed up by not deleting the POP3 account BEFORE I created an IMAP account.

I think I'm close, but I need some help. Thank you!

When you open outlook, you want to see the imap Inbox? Go to tools, options and on the Other tab, you can choose the startup folder.
Screenshots: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choose-outlook-startup-folder/

Dear Ms. Poremsky,

I use Outlook 2010 Professional. I recently switched from POP3 to IMAP. As you will note, I had to create an account jeffrey@design88.biz. My intention is to have the following happen:

When I open Outlook, I want my IMAP inbox to appear first. Also, I would like to have all of my IMAP activity appear under "Outlook", at the top of the listing on the left, as it did when I used POP3. I currently have emails in there; if necessary, I can get rid of them.

I've seen your advice several times; you really know Outlook!

Best regards,

Jeffrey

Attachments

• Outlook 2010 IMAP issue.GIF
    Outlook 2010 IMAP issue.GIF
    17.5 KB · Views: 589
The short answer to your question is to simply drag the Root folder for your Imap account in the Nav Pane to be above the set of folders for the POP account.

Just as a FYI - if you were to configure a profile with only an Imap account in '2010 - you would see/get 2 PST files. By default the first would be called "Outlook Data File" complete with all default folders and the second would be for your Imap account. Reason is that the first contains the default folders for contacts/calendar etc which are not part of an Imap account at the server level.

In your case, sounds like you added the Imap account to a profile which already had the POP account so there was no need to create a different PST file for default contacts etc - the PST file assigned to your POP account is used for that purpose.

(FWIW - this is not the same behaviour if this involved O'2013)

You can't deliver IMAP to a data file of your choice. You either need to use pop3 or rules to move the messages using rules.

What exactly is the question being asked?
a) how to change the destination of where messages are being delivered?
OR
b) how to change the sequence in which the PST files (along with the associated folders) in the profile are presented in the Nav pane - or more specifically how to make the default Imap PST file/folders appear at the top of the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Converting outlook 2010 pop account and folders to imap with gmail Using Outlook 1
C replace subject line generated by converting a word document to PDF and sending it to an email Using Outlook 8
G [Help] Converting array to destination folder path Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Converting OST to PST File Using Outlook 3
C Outlook 2016 - converting Word VBA to default Outlook message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Converting from Outlook Express to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 5
A Converting POP3 Accounts to Exchange Using Outlook 1
A docmessageclass, not every contact converting Using Outlook 18
K Trouble converting the ANSI PST to a Unicode PST Using Outlook 4
H Converting an old Microsoft Outlook PST to a new Unicode PST Using Outlook 0
J bug in converting eml files of wlm on import to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
C Problem while converting GAL entries to contacts in Outlook Cont Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
G Converting Attachement into Link. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Converting users with BCM in OL2003 to RPC over HTTP BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
CWM550 I'm thinking about switching back to POP Using Outlook 11
C Pop Server Changing Verizon/Aol to Yahoo Using Outlook 6
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A few question before I decide to switch to Pop from imap Using Outlook 9
C Transfer Autocomplete from Pop to Exchange Using Outlook 3
P PST file is getting huge under POP 3 Using Outlook 2
H In outlook 365 POP mail Inbox, email takes a long time or never arrives. Using Outlook 1
B Copy/Move Exchange inbox to Pop inbox Using Outlook 4
O Get Outlook on your phone for free - web page pop up Using Outlook 8
J Change POP account to Forwarder - What happens in Outlook? Using Outlook 2
P Contacts gone missing in Outlook 2013 POP Using Outlook 4
I Make a macro in line rather than pop out Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Gmail POP, Android IMAP, Outlook 2013 setup close Using Outlook 5
CWM550 Infomational pop up Using Outlook 2
E POP vs IMAP on iDevices Using Outlook 3
J Why are emails for a different pop account copied to outlook.com account? Using Outlook 1
T Adding "Mark As Complete" btton to Task Remindet Pop-Up Using Outlook 3
G Outlook calendar entry corrupted. Constant pop up when you open outlook. Unable to delete or remove. Using Outlook 2
Jennifer Murphy Exit Without Sending pop-up restarts countdown Using Outlook 11
V Switching from IMAP to POP Using Outlook 3
V Question on pop email Using Outlook 2
M Link POP account with Outlook.fr Using Outlook 1
D is it possible to have both a POP and IMAP account in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 5
C Outlook 2013 Windows Phone, Outlook 365/2013 POP Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
M Rule to pop a warning dialogue on certain actions Using Outlook 1
M Blank Pop-up Window when click "Manage Sharing" BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R Cant reinstall POP email account Using Outlook 2
S PoP up reminder while opening the outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Pop up reminder while i close outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Constantly Occuring Login Pop-Up Window Using Outlook 1
P POP mail password popup after I deleted the accopunt Using Outlook 6
L IMAP and POP email in same Outlook system Using Outlook 1
Sarge USMC Outlook 13 not displaying POP inbound emails Using Outlook 12
S Transferring POP emails from Outlook 2002 to Outlook.com email in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
O Outlook 2013 EAS Account and POP Account - Common Sent Folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 21