Customizing PST error message in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jatinder

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
Hi

I"m new to the forum and this is my first question. Does anybody know if it is possible to customize error messages in Outlook? In our Exchange 2013 Server/Outlook 2013/2007 environment we have the following GPO setting applied:
User configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Classic Administrative Templates\Microosoft Office Outlook 2007\Miscellaneous\PST Settings=> Prevent users from adding new content to existing PST files.

For the Outlook user this prevents him/her from transferring items into their PST folder. If the user tries to do so, then the following error message is displayed:

"Cannot move the items. you don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation"

Is there a method by which this error message be customized? (that means to personalize the wording of the message to suit our organizaton)

Many thanks in advance
Jatinder

Hello Diane

Many thanks for your quick reply, I really do appreciate it.
Just another quick question; within the same GPO there is a setting for "Customizable Error Messages" in Outlook. The path is User configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Classic Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office Outlook 2007\Customizable error messages

Can you please tell me what this setting relates to?

PS - Excellent forum, a real wealth of resources!

Every Office error has a unique error code and you can create a Customizable Error Message that cross-references error codes with your customized text. I haven't looked at it in years, so maybe they changed it, but in older versions, you could add a url that linked to your own help pages, similar to how some errors link to more information on the web. You couldn't change the main text of the message.

I'm not in my office right now and my tablet doesn't have the templates installed, but I'll take a look at and see if its done differently now.

OK Many thanks. It would be interesting to see of this particular error has a certain error code attached to it or not.

All errors *should* have a code linked to them and I understand each code is unique.

Ah ok. Does there happen to be an error code for this message "Cannot move the items. you don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation"....?

Trigger the error then look in the Event viewer. The code would be there if one is generated.

Nothing in the log after event was triggered. I guess it doesnt have a code.....
I think I can consider it case closed for now
Many thanks.for you help on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Customizing Outlook 2010 with Email Address Using Outlook 2
H Customizing "Send to" Attachment Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Customizing Connected Services in Office 2013 Pro Plus (O365) Using Outlook 1
N Starting out with BCM - Customizing contact records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Customizing an Outlook 2010 Email Form Exchange Server Administration 1
X BCM: Customizing Marketing Forms BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
D Customizing Tasks form in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
J Customizing Contact Form Using Outlook 6
P Customizing Business Cards in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
R customizing bcm for Brazil... issues BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Customizing BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
J Customizing fields in Outlook forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Real Estate Customizing BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
P Recommendation for PST repair program Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 365 Bad experience with KernelAPPS PST Repair program Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
W Outlook 365 File access denied attempting to import .pst Using Outlook 6
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
S Import PST to Office 365 Using Outlook 1
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Kernel Outlook .pst viewer Using Outlook 3
G Outlook Express (DBX) to Outlook (PST) Conversion Software Wanted Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2003 .pst Will Not Restore Completely to Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 5
J SCANPST errors Outlook PST repair? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5
J What are .PST.db and .PST.db.journal Files? Using Outlook 2
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
L Article on merging pst file Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Changing where data .pst is saved to Using Outlook 3
M Convertor for Outlook Express Mail Store (.dbx) to Outlook Mail Store (.pst) Using Outlook 0
D a general question re how backup programs handle pst files ... I have no problems, just curious Using Outlook 1
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
K Need to convert .mmf file to .pst format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
J outlook 2007 doesn't let me choose which .pst to search Using Outlook 2
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
K Disabling import/export button to restrict PST creation Using Outlook 3
K Export Folder to PST Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1
P PST file is getting huge under POP 3 Using Outlook 2
M Export-Import .pst file problems Using Outlook 2
L Cannot open PST file for first session each day Using Outlook 6
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 2016 OST thinks it is PST? Using Outlook 1